Thread: Gold Plating?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gold Plating?

Hi!

Does anyone here do their own gold plating? I recently bought a full gold plating tank kit and I'm following the instructions to a T but its not giving me good results. I am getting a streaky/cloudy uneven looking finish.

I am plating 2.5 microns of gold onto sterling silver by tank plating. Any idea why it would be turning the mirror finish sterling silver pendants cloudy/uneven gold? Not sure what I could be doing thats making it go like this. I have asked the company and told them the exact process I'm following and they don't seem to know why either. Not great.

How are you cleaning the pieces before plating? Are you using an ultrasonic?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    How are you cleaning the pieces before plating? Are you using an ultrasonic?
    Yes ultrasonic cleaning. I really have no idea why its not getting good results.

Gold plating and plating in general can be finicky I do not do it myself although I have a friend who does, you are most likely doing all this but here goes,
    Every must be clean beakers solution, items to be plated etc.
    Temperature must be correct and consistent
    Make sure the solution is not tired ( weak )

I will be catching up with him tomorrow ( Friday ) if he has any other pointers I will post them

In not sure with gold but I know you should plate the silver with a barrier coat first of something like nickel before you rhodium plate or the silver contaminates the rhodium and leaves it streaky / blotchy. I would imagine its the same ? its called an under plating.

Not nickel surely, if you want to sell it in the EU?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk