Thread: protecting patina

Default protecting patina

Happy new year. I've just got myself a plastic cabinet for storing my brass/copper/beady bits n pieces, bought a new pickle pot (breville this time rather than unbranded) and am finishing off some odds and ends. i'm feeling I've made a good start to 2020! Just put together a little pair of copper patinated square earrings. Nothing fancy but pretty. I had a feeling someone on here mentioned that they had varnished or waxed their patina and had managed to keep the rainbow effect. I could be mistaken, but if it was you, how did you do it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200106_164454-01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	12284
    Last edited by Sheen; 06-01-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Yes, the patina will quickly darken if not protected and wax is not going to work for long.
    I would normally suggest a clear lacquer spray from a hardware store Sheena, but as you already have a bead in place, you might prefer to spray some into a small disposable container and brush it on with an artist's water colour brush, to avoid the bead.
    You will also need a brush cleaner. If it is oil based, then white spirit. If cellulose, then cellulose thinner. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have used that 'protectaclear' on the odd bit of rainbow patina. It can be purchased in the UK, just need to do the old google-y search with a UK bias

Thankyou Wallace and Dennis, sounds like varnish/laquer is the way to go. I'm not so much worried about them getting darker, but the patina wearing off as they are worn. will check out protectaclear. ps quick look on your website, Wallace, and that photo of your workroom is divine. so tidy!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Thankyou Wallace and Dennis, sounds like varnish/laquer is the way to go. I'm not so much worried about them getting darker, but the patina wearing off as they are worn. will check out protectaclear. ps quick look on your website, Wallace, and that photo of your workroom is divine. so tidy!
    Hope you find what you need. Workroom - thank you, it was newly made, so less tidy now I am back at it! Lol