Thread: Neck manaquin

Default Neck manaquin

Do any of you use a manaquin for working out chain lengths? If so where can you get one that isn't unrealistically sized?
    Kathryn

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Dealing directly with the public I find it impossible with chain lengths as women’s necks vary so much from my scrawny size to some much more generous women to be polite. The weight of the pendant also has a bearing on how much the chain is pulled down. My chain lengths vary between 18in and 24 in depending on how I want it to look. If I’m selling indirectly I give them the choice of their perfect chain length and put the decision in their hands.
    This probably isn’t much help but I’m not sure there is a perfect bust unless you choose to do stock sizes

There many charts around that give you the various lengths, however I sometimes use a dress makers mannequin to gauge the length as I already have one,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de07dcefda201cbfffbb50d5cbdc9530.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	12282
    Last edited by china; 03-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.

It's for when i want to do something fancy like have two chains running through it, figured it would be easier on a manaquin than on myself, I usually add an extender so that they can be adjusted a little.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

A mannequin might give a better idea. There isn’t a chart that can compensate for the girth of a neck! I’ve seen something quite long on me that becomes a choker on someone else:/

I find myself quite often using extenders ( which is just a jump ring in the chain ) as it gives some variation.

Another reason for incorporating some jump rings for adjustment, is that the neckline of the shirt, or top will influence the ideal length in some cases. Dennis.

I've got a polystyrene display torso that is occasionally useful for this - but not entirely as it's not quite large enough. It give me an idea of how something will look but it's still pretty much a guessing game because actual humans differ so much in their sizes and shapes.

Yeh it would make the life of a jeweller, Silver smith, gold smith, craft Maker a lot simpler if humans all had the same finger size and were all the same height and shape, but then I suppose it would become a bit repetitive