View Poll Results: Should Jump rings attached to Clasps on Chains be Soldered?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

1 100.00%
  • NO

0 0%
  • NOT SURE

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clasp with Jump Ring Soldering SAFETY

Default Clasp with Jump Ring Soldering SAFETY

Hello,

I am looking to offer my pendants with a streling silver chain. From where I will purchase the chains (bulk), the chain has a lobster clasp and jump ring but the jump ring isn't soldered.

Should i sell them with the jump ring unsoldered? i will be buying 100 approx.
    I thought to leave them without because it's easier and i read mixed opinions that if its not soldered then its safer because if it gets some tug then it's safer for the person's neck.

But I also read in previous posts on here and other forums, that the customer buying my product later on will think its poor workmanship if it comes apart.
    Is there an industry standard?

I find it difficult to know what to do between Brand Reputation and Customer Safety.
    I checked how it is being sold and most do not solder.

Last time around I bought some chains in bulk i had a few customers jump ring come away, even though the jump ring wire is thick enough.

Merry Christmas,
    Dan

*sorry chain are about 15g-20g (different length) pendant is only 7g
    Last edited by Dan_; 21-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.

HI Dan,
    Welcome with out question soldered jumrimp rimgs show ahigher quaily contsruction it is no hard do mstier start=witnsome lightngaugr rings
    I really shout shut up and go to be teh are not inthe wright place any more i cntribute tiomorrow and fix all my indricresiinm

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    HI Dan,
    Welcome with out question soldered jumrimp rimgs show ahigher quaily contsruction it is no hard do mstier start=witnsome lightngaugr rings
    I really shout shut up and go to be teh are not inthe wright place any more i cntribute tiomorrow and fix all my indricresiinm
    Thanks, but totally did not understand your reply..

I think it may have been a tad late in Aus when that was written...

Yes, you can solder them closed and yes, you can leave them open as a safety feature. There isn't a standard, but for higher end pieces I'd certainly solder them.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I think it may have been a tad late in Aus when that was written...
    China must have started their Christmas Party early.

Yes, you can solder them closed and yes, you can leave them open as a safety feature. There isn't a standard, but for higher end pieces I'd certainly solder them.
    Good suggestion, thanks Bond
    Last edited by Dan_; 21-12-2019 at 03:19 PM.

BTW - in another thread, Bob mentions that his medication was causing communication problems, so that explains the slightly garbled message.

I don't think a poll is appropriate. The answer is that lobster clasps have a spring, which will fail to work if overheated. So the answer depends on your soldering skills. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I don't think a poll is appropriate. The answer is that lobster clasps have a spring, which will fail to work if overheated. So the answer depends on your soldering skills. Dennis.
    Thanks for contributing.
    The question however has been opened not for the soldering skill or ability.
    But rather from a customer perspective of expectation/safety.

BTW - in another thread, Bob mentions that his medication was causing communication problems, so that explains the slightly garbled message.
    Sorry I don't post often, so hadn't seen this. No problem. Best wishes to Bob.

Ach, I hadn't seen that one before I responded. I'd guessed at it being late, but not at additional causes. I do know that being stuck on diazepam & cocodamol a short while back left me so unable to think clearly that I stopped taking them, preferring to deal with the pain instead.

The other technical issue with springs in lobster clasps is that they're not ideal in pickle either. As for soldering/not soldering it really comes down to your own preferences. Skinny jump rings with the wrong aspect ratio are always going to be vulnerable - but at the same time, I'm someone who will over-engineer things with gusto. It's a question of finding a happy medium.