View Poll Results: Should Jump rings attached to Clasps on Chains be Soldered?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

1 100.00%
  • NO

0 0%
  • NOT SURE

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clasp with Jump Ring Soldering SAFETY

I always solder, lobster clasps are fine if you stick a bit of techno-flux on them and use easy solder.
    I haven't had any problem with them in the pickle either?

Well then,the customer is unlikely to look closely at the jump rings to see whether they are soldered, but as you have already found, will complain if they open in use.
    However if you have a hundred to do, you will certainly have a failure rate, which might not become apparent until some time after their sale.
    So you might consider sending them out to be welded, which is much safer, and buy made chains with closed jump rings in future.

You will note that you poll does not allow for this option. Dennis.

I make one off pieces and never solder mine but make sure the ring is made of hard wire and has a perfect joint if possible. I’ve never known my customers to inspect my jump rings

The argument for an open ring is that if the piece catches on something the wearer won't be strangled or have their wrist broken. the jump ring is a safety weakness
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

First let me apologise for the original post post I was clearly affect more than I realized, Your quest has pretty much been answered, so I will keep quiet

Wouldn't worry about it Bob - perfectly understandable. Sorry I just assumed it was late at first!

Easy mistake you guys are all just getting started when I am about sign off, I am getting used to it my partner currently works and lives in Canada. I am always getting phone calls at 3 am

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I make one off pieces and never solder mine but make sure the ring is made of hard wire and has a perfect joint if possible. I’ve never known my customers to inspect my jump rings
    Exactly what I do. A properly closed jump ring of the right size is just as strong, but I've always left a safety break somewhere. Anything other than a pretty strong chain will usually break anyway, but it's not always a chain (could be cotton cord or leather for example) and I'd rather fix a jump ring than a wrist!