Thread: Using ball chain

Default Using ball chain

Interested in using lengths of tiny ball chain (cookson has some 1.2mm stuff) in earring designs. Am i naive in thinking i can just solder some tiny jump rings to the ends?

Can't see why not it would be no more difficult than soldering a jump ring to any other tiny chain

I only bought it for the first time this year but a ready made length I don’t see why you can’t just solder a jump ring on with a minimal amount of solder so it doesn’t flow into the balls. This is maybe where paste comes into play

If i were doing this, I would close the jump rings first with a little surplus solder and then sweat onto a ball for a neat result.
    I do have reservations about heating ball chain for necklaces, as the links are not very secure and would be sure to give way in use. So for that I would prefer to use made chain, which is factory welded. Dennis.

Dennis is probably right Sheena but you could try a wee bit to see if you get away with it for a short length

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Dennis is probably right Sheena but you could try a wee bit to see if you get away with it for a short length
    Going to give it a go. I have some solder paste which i know how to use these days. Just have to wait til i'm over the xmas cheer. Mmm how long will that be? If only xmas were like the olympics...every 4 years