So this has been a slow burner for me. I have been wanting to make jewellery for a few years and as I work another job, while getting set up, 2020 is going to be the year. I’m totally self taught and still learning as I go, it’s all very slow.
I’m going to mainly be making all my jewellery from recycled items, some very old silver items, some not so old like silver cutlery. So here’s where it gets tricky. Will I have to go down the route of hallmarking my work. I will be creating necklaces, rings etc of silver, I will make the chains myself, but then I will be putting very old silver pendants and such items on it that are not hallmarked but silver.
Is it the weight of the whole item when finished for silver 7.78g say if a necklace, as I could have beads and other things on it, but my silver chain will be under this weight and the old silver pieces will be older than 1950. As I’m starting out, I don’t want to go down the hallmark route of getting things sent away to the assey office and have a makers mark, or am I confusing two things? obviously I can stamp my chains 925, but I don’t want to put a stamp on the old pieces as it will ruin the look of them. I don’t see a lot of people making the sort of Jewellery I want to sell so I can’t compare.
Any help, if I’ve made sense I want to do it right.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk