Thread: Vibrations in fingers from hand tools

Default Vibrations in fingers from hand tools

Hello, I hope this is the right place to pose my question.

I do a lot of metal polishing with a dremel and radial wheels, and I find that my fingers are starting to get tingly. I'm concerned about getting Vibration white finger, but not sure what to do to prevent it. So I was wondering what other people do. The pieces are small and flat (1.5cm to about 5cm diameter max) so I need to hold them to polish.

I'd love to hear any advice or what you do to prevent this.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Possible that you are getting a sensitivity to base metals (test by taping the metal to your inner arm over night. does it leave a red patch ?)

If not, then get a smoother motor, such a an inexpensive Marathon micromotor or use jewellers self adhesive finger tape for protection. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Hello, I hope this is the right place to pose my question.

I do a lot of metal polishing with a dremel and radial wheels, and I find that my fingers are starting to get tingly. I'm concerned about getting Vibration white finger, but not sure what to do to prevent it. So I was wondering what other people do. The pieces are small and flat (1.5cm to about 5cm diameter max) so I need to hold them to polish.

I'd love to hear any advice or what you do to prevent this.

Many thanks in advance for any replies
    I bough5 a Dremel with a view to using it for stone setting and I couldn't stand the noise or vibration. It may be that the vibration is too much for extended use. I actually found it quite heavy to grip and it may be vibrating on nerves or something says Dr Caroline but you know what I’m getting at

Could be the beginning of Carpel Tunnel syndrome, may want to have a nerve conduction test

Either way, ask a doctor.

As others have said, make sure with a doctor it's not anything serious.

I was just wondering if you've tried clamping the dremel in place and moving the pieces along the wheels and bobs as you would with a polishing motor? You might be affected less by the vibration that way. Just a thought.

I found this too when using my Dremel. When I switched to the Marathon 3 micrometer, there is no vibration.
    So, why don't you try a different drill?