Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel Drill Press?

Default Dremel Drill Press?

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forums, and wanted to ask a question regarding a drill press for a Dremel.. I’ve used a cheap rotary tool for some years now, but have recently decided to upgrade to something of a higher quality. I’m looking at the Dremel 4300, of which I’ve read very good reviews about.. but unfortunately I can’t really say the same about the Dremel drill press. A number of the reviews seem to have an issue with the flexibility of the press, complaining that holes etc will tend to wander, even under the lightest pressure.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with one, and if so what your thoughts might be.. or maybe even a recommendation of a different press which can be used with the Dremel 4300, and might be of a higher build quality?

Any advice welcome.

Thank you

Russ

Hi Russ, I’ll welcome you to the forum in the absence of anyone else but I’ve no experience of Dremel. I get the feeling you’ll be advised to buy anything but Dremel in general but I’ll leave that to someone else to explain as the product you mention may be better than I think. They are noisy, cumbersome and you might be better getting a pendant motor or micromotor
    Last edited by CJ57; 09-12-2019 at 01:16 PM.

I have no experience personally, although if you want just a drill press I believe the Proxxon has good reviews for a lower priced unit, sadly Dremel are not the high quality items they used to
    be thirty years ago, I would not buy a Dremel anything.

Thanks for the replies guys.. well thats interesting.. so if not a Dremel, what else would you suggest specifically?

I’m completely open to suggestions

Thanks

Russ

Have a look here https://www.foredom.net/product/p-dp30-drill-press/ https://www.foredom.net/product-cate...peed-controls/ it really depends on what you want to do with it if you want really high precision
    you would need to look at watch makers drill press's but they don't come cheap, the Foredom would be less than half the price of a watchmakers unit and much more versatile.

Now I can comment on the proxxon bench drill! I love it especially as prior to that I’d drilled everything by hand for decades. It seems to have gone up in price a bit since I bought it but if you are drilling a lot then it’s worth it. I’d suggest a universal drill bit too as it’s fiddlychanging the supplied bits all the time to find one that fits. It’s also takes up little space
    There have been a lot of posts on Foredom, pendant versus micromotor. In those replies you’ll find suggestion on less expensive makes particularly micromotors which seem to do a good job at a fraction of the cost if cost is an issue

Dual purpose tools are always a pain. I've had my Proxxon for more than twenty years. Its always ready and the optional three jaw chuck will take from standard 2.3mm drills to 7mm drill bits. For small drills it also comes with a collet set, which I rarely use. Dennis..

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dual purpose tools are always a pain. I've had my Proxxon for more than twenty years. Its always ready and the optional three jaw chuck will take from standard 2.3mm drills to 7mm drill bits. For small drills it also comes with a collet set, which I rarely use. Dennis..
    The one thing I’ve never been able to understand is the vice. You can lock it in place to stop it from moving back to front but not side to side which means you have to hold he vice in place which seems rather counter productive to me

You can only lock in one direction, no way of locking side to side