Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optivisors

Default Optivisors

Yet again, more advice please from you experienced knowledgable people!
    As I am making more and more pieces, some parts very small, I need better magnification than the rather crude set up I have at present. I would really appreciate some advice on types, makes and magnification. After all Christmas is just round the corner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Yet again, more advice please from you experienced knowledgable people!
    As I am making more and more pieces, some parts very small, I need better magnification than the rather crude set up I have at present. I would really appreciate some advice on types, makes and magnification. After all Christmas is just round the corner!

I treated myself to a 2.5 Oftivisor recently and it has transformed how I work. If only I had bought one much earlier. Put one at the top of your wish list!

The simplest solution is to use a head band magnifier, which will work with prescription glasses too.
    While the most common one in jewellery workshops is the Optivisor, they are quite heavy and sweaty in warm weather.

I can unreservedly recommend this one, the 4x (not the 2.5), used by dentists and dental technicians, which is much lighter in weight and will not tire your eyes even with long periods of use.

Obviously they collect splashes and metal filings, which can score the resin lenses, so they should not be cleaned with a cloth, bur rather with soap or detergent using a soft make-up bush.

https://www.bfmulholland.com/protect...54-each-p11110 Dennis

What's the focal distance like on the one you're using, Dennis?
    I like the 2.5x Optivisor, but... I have to be very careful about posture given the short focal distance - it's not good to hunch over a piece to keep it in focus. I want these new vertebral discs to last a while.

Well as you see Peter, I recommend the 4x, and the working distance from bridge of nose to the workpiece is about 20cm, or 8".
    To avoid hunching, I lower the chair, but it might still not suit you if you are very tall. Dennis.

Well have made my choice and posted my request to Santa....thanks as always for your advices.

I must admit I would like more distance so that I’m not so hunched

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well as you see Peter, I recommend the 4x, and the working distance from bridge of nose to the workpiece is about 20cm, or 8".
    To avoid hunching, I lower the chair, but it might still not suit you if you are very tall. Dennis.
    I drop the chair & put the bench pin up higher when that's what I need, but for pitchbowl work it's less feasible - everything needs to be ergonomically placed.

If you put longer screws in the lens and lock them in place with bolts I used pcb stand offs in the picture. You can move the lens away from the visor and adjust the focal length . It dosent look the best but I never really managed to impress the ladys with the optivisor look anyway so I though whay not!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_dsc_0794.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	12235

Might be worth a go - I've got a fair few PCB standoffs knocking about.
    The bruising round the eyes from leaning on a scope isn't a great look either...