Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to cut with?

Default What to cut with?

Hi folks,
    I've been making boxes as a whole unit then cutting the top third or so off to form the lid.
    When it comes to the second stage it's pretty difficult (unachievable so far) to maintain a straight line throughout the whole cut.
    Should I be using a back saw?
    Thanks,
    Nick

It might be worth scribing or filing along the line to give you a start. My boxes were always round so it was more difficult to do that so I’d either go round it with the saw blade marking along the line or with a needle file so that I didn’t veer off line. It seemed to work well enough with just a wee bit of tidying up

What you do, as Caroline says, is to scribe the line using dividers and then, using an appropriate saw blade for the thickness of metal, cut through all the corners next. Then it will be reasonably easy to follow the lines, bit by bit as more space becomes available for the saw.

The last time I made a copper box I decided to simplify things by making an overlapping lid instead. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cbp 1 Copper Box Project.jpg   cbp 2 Copper Box Project.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    What you do, as Caroline says, is to scribe the line using dividers and then, using an appropriate saw blade for the thickness of metal, cut through all the corners next. Then it will be reasonably easy to follow the lines, bit by bit as more space becomes available for the saw.

The last time I made a copper box I decided to simplify things by making an overlapping lid instead. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis,I see what you're saying . My boxes are actually without corners but I am angling the blade to indicate the line.
    Having done a little woodwork though I just thought a solid blade would be more even as when I turn the box as I cut it increases the chance of going off kilter.Wouldn't a back saw give a more even approach ? I have seen them advertised- not by Cookies-and I wondered if this was the silversmiths preferred method.
    Praps I'll just buy one and see.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    It might be worth scribing or filing along the line to give you a start. My boxes were always round so it was more difficult to do that so I’d either go round it with the saw blade marking along the line or with a needle file so that I didn’t veer off line. It seemed to work well enough with just a wee bit of tidying up
    I haven't actually tried a file though that's a good idea. My boxes are also roundish.It's just looking at the finished item, the join is uneven.
    Tidying up. Yep.I need to work on that.
    Thanks

Well you can try a back saw, but in my experience they are not anything as sharpas a jewellers saw blade and more likely to slip and make a mess.

One thing that might help, as well as increasing the tension, is to reverse the blade and saw from far to near along your scribed line. That way you might see better to avoid accidental cuts below. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    I haven't actually tried a file though that's a good idea. My boxes are also roundish.It's just looking at the finished item, the join is uneven.
    Tidying up. Yep.I need to work on that.
    Thanks
    As long as the top of the box is flat , it’s still possible to scribe a line with dividers. I’ve only used a hacksaw on Perspex and I agree with Dennis they aren’t as sharp, the blade is quite wide and the cut not very clean and I wouldn’t think you’ll get the precision you need

FWIW, I'd use a scribing block to layout the cut.

https://www.warco.co.uk/marking-out-...ng-blocks.html

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    FWIW, I'd use a scribing block to layout the cut.

https://www.warco.co.uk/marking-out-...ng-blocks.html
    Very useful and nifty tool .Not expensive on ebay either.
    Last edited by NickD; 05-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.

I have to ask Peter are you or have you been involved in engineering or fitting, it is just that over the years I have been on the forum, I have noticed that you seem to use items associated with that sort of profession