Thread: Random phonecall to start the day!

Default Random phonecall to start the day!

Phone rings this morning.
    Is that Caroline? Yes
    This is.... what time do you finish?
    What time do I finish what? At your workshop. Explanation about being my home.
    I want to come along as I want to send a dagger to Russia. Oh right I say I’m afraid I don’t make daggers.
    Oh right I have a design could you get the metal for me or I was just going to melt a trophy otherwise?
    Have you done anything like this before, that seems a complicated first project?
    A long time ago, I’m quite artistic
    Well I can give you a stockist, what thickness would you be looking for?
    Oh about 4 cm and then I could just beat it out
    It’s not like working with iron, you’d need to have a few skills under your belt. Forging, possibly soldering, riveting, depending on the design. Perhaps you should try it out in copper first before making in silver.
    That’s a good idea, you learn something new every day. Thanks for your help.
    Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
    Now I’m not so shell shocked as I was just up, I’m intrigued by what he could possibly be making. I have the feeling he didn’t want me to make it but to tell him how to

There's nowt so queer as folk. Dennis.

Caroline, your location is listed as as Scotland maybe "Skian Dubh"

I knew there was a reason I didn't put my phone number on my website

That’s the problem with being on the Open Studio, my details are everywhere as I found when I did a search.
    He only lives about 9 miles away and told me he’d once lived in the village, so he’s a Scot Bob and definitely it was a dagger as he’s artistic you know
    I thought he was trying to sell me something when he used my name so I was a bit on the defensive to begin with especially when almost the first thing he said was I want to send a dagger to Russia!

If sending a dagger, to Russia is anything like sending a dagger ( Dagger/Skian Dubh same thing according to UK customs) to to the UK, I hope he is a very very patient person, I know from recent experience

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    If sending a dagger, to Russia is anything like sending a dagger ( Dagger/Skian Dubh same thing according to UK customs) to to the UK, I hope he is a very very patient person, I know from recent experience
    I wouldn’t have thought the Russians are short of a dagger or two when they’re hunters out in the country. The intrigue will just have to read Ian a mystery!