Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make something like this?

Default How to make something like this?

Hi all,

This is my first forum post! I am new to the jewellery making thing, and I love it! I have seen a ring I would like to make something similar but am unsure about how to proceed. Hoping you could advise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A28FA59-7A4D-4750-9FA8-EB83FDBCFD13.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	12238

I have a slightly different design but it is theoretically the same concept, ring with cut out pattern. So what I am asking is, how is this sort of thing made?

Thank you

Callum

I would probably scribe the design onto a length of flat sheet, bend up the ring, drill it to thread sawblades through and then pierce it, finishing the holes by filing. Alternatively, make up a flat ring then draw the design onto it & continue. I'd prefer not to pierce it flat as it would be more of a faff to align and solder.

Now... Which bits need more detail?

Draw it out carefully as a flat strip on graph paper, which helps to keep it accurate.
    The diameter will be taken from measuring your ring stick with callipers.
    The length (the cicumference) will be taken from the formula 3.14(pi) x (diameter+thickness of metal used)

Having drawn the strip, paste it onto some metal about 1.00mm thick, using a Pritt stick. When dry, drill it and pierce it using a fine blade.
    Take off the paper under warm water, tidy with files, bend up and solder. When drawing it you will have decided where best to make your join.

Ideally, for accuracy, you will end up with the ring about half a size too small and stretch it to size. If you have access to a ring stretcher that would be ideal. Dennis.

Okay, I was hoping you might say that it would be easier to cast it.

That is going to be some rather intricate saw work!

Could cast it, but by the time I'd drawn it up in CAD & printed it I could have made it. And if you're doing the work in wax, it's no worse in this case to do it in metal IMO.
    So for a one-off I'd do it the traditional way.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice!

What do we think will be easiest then; cut out pattern then bend the ring, or bend up the ring and then cut pattern?

Do either approach have more advantages than the other or is it preference?

Thank you!

Cutting the pattern flat is easier initially, but can make the alignment of the ring more problematic; cutting the pattern with the ring rounded up makes for trickier sawing (but it's good practice), but removes the alignment issues.
    Do both & see which you prefer.

Thank you very much for your advice, will order some silver and give it a go, will let you know how I get on

Callum

If you are new to jewellery making then it might be worth doing some practice pieces in copper to perfect your sawing skills before doing the final piece in silver

That’s a great idea! Thank you ��

Will it be similar doing to with copper? All the research I have done is on silver, are there any differences between silver and copper that I might need to take into account? I’m guessing copper is significantly cheaper

Additionally any recommendations on size of saw blade would be fantastic, it’s going to need to be pretty small I’d guess
    Last edited by callambx; 26-11-2019 at 12:55 PM.