Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make something like this?

It’s significantly cheaper and the there is a lot of waste in the project you’ve chosen to do. Sawing patterns requires a lot of practice. You’ll also need a drill to begin each section, a saw, correct blades, needle files and good light.

If you haven't done any piercing it may be best to just practise that first on a flat piece of copper.

You could cut it from a flat peice of wax with a paper template. Then bend and solder when cast at least with wax you can fix it if you mess up. This would be easier I think but by no means the most cost effective way.

Okay, I have most of those things, just unsure which blades, can you recommend sizes?

Yeah I think I’ll try on copper first and get the hang of it that way, then I’ll go over to silver thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    You could cut it from a flat peice of wax with a paper template. Then bend and solder when cast at least with wax you can fix it if you mess up. This would be easier I think but by no means the most cost effective way.
    I think I am going to avoid getting into casting for now and use this as an opportunity to improve my sawing skills, I’ll save the casting for a future project

Quote Originally Posted by callambx View Post
    Okay, I have most of those things, just unsure which blades, can you recommend sizes?
    Hi, check out the Cooksongold blog or Google the question (the Cooksongold link will probably come up first). Saw blade grades vary to suit the thickness of metal you are cutting. Fine teeth will also help when cutting shapes from a drilled hole. Definitely practice with copper!! Good luck. Ian

Here is a saw blade chart. You need at least three teeth touching when sawing the sheet, so the chart is not that helpful.
    However don't despair, a 4/0 blade will be just right for a smooth clean cut when using 1.00mm thick metal.

Copper handles much like silver, but of course the solder will show. No bad thing as it will teach you how much you need.

Do let us follow your work in progress. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saw blades.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-11-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If you are new to jewellery making then it might be worth doing some practice pieces in copper to perfect your sawing skills before doing the final piece in silver
    Yes so right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk