Thread: Looking for a safe torch to use in my home

Default Looking for a safe torch to use in my home

Hi I’m a newbie so any advice would be great.
    I have made a workbench in the corner of my dining room and have tried using a dremel torch for soldering but it is nothing like the gas/air torches we have at college. So I’m looking for a safe torch system to use at home.
    I was looking at the sievert pro torch, I understand I would have to check the joins regularly for leaks but reading about the flares worries me. As it is my mum has made me get a fire blanket and fire extinguisher just for my dremel torch.
    Could anyone recommend a system for me that works well and is safe?
    Thank you in advance xxx

Much has been said on this subject over the years, so here is a thread to start you off: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9439. Others can be found by putting the word 'torch' in the search box top right.

Another consideration is a safe soldering hearth, to contain hot things, such as a roasting pan, or better still the pan from a cheap barbecue with a raised back to keep your flame away from the area behind.

Lastly you should look for a patch of floor protector, such as the clear one from Ikea, because sooner or later you will drop something hot.
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kolon-f...ctor-44881100/.

Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Hi Hedgewick. I am also a relative newbie! I made myself a box lined with “asbestolux” or modern equivalent in which to solder. It also is the box in which I can store / keep my pickle bits and pieces plus small torch etc etc. My main torch is a propane cooksons torch which I have found sufficient so far. I keep the cylinder in a purpose made box and have made a handset holder. Yes I turn it off at the cylinder after use. I also have a fire extinguisher to hand! I have some photos ....IF I can work out how to include them!
    David ( Ruedeleglise)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to drill a series of holes around the base of the box you have the cylinder in, Propane, LPG, etc. is heavier than air in the event of gas leek it will build up in the box.
    Last edited by china; 27-11-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    You need to drill a series of holes around the base of the box you have the cylinder in, Propane, LPG, etc. is lighter than air in the event of gas leek it will build up in the box.
    I think a typo, China. You meant Propane etc heavier than air. Yes there are holes but on the other side. You are so right. I have seen boats with their decks blow off as the butane collects in the bilges and you can’t drill holes in the bottom of boats!

Yep thanks for that, fixed

Thank you so much everybody, the photos of your bench and set up are excellent Ruedeleglise. Did your sievert come with mount to attach it to your bench?
    I’ve decided on a smith torch but I’ll wait till I have a better set up and make do with my handheld blowtorch and college’s fab torches, don’t think my mum would be too impressed if I had an accident with a gas canister in the house.
    Dennis and China I’ve read so many posts and I love the knowledge and sence you bring to the forum I also like reading enigmas replies too. Thanks for helping us newbies. Now away to figure what’s more multi purpose a Foredom sr or foredom lx or a micromotor ����*♀️. Xxx

No. Like most ancillary bits I make them myself! That’s why I usually have mk1 mk2 and often mk3! The holder was made from 25mm x 2mm strap steel from Wicks. If you want/ need the design, just ask.

PhotosClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	12243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	12242