Thread: Playing with scrap

Default Playing with scrap

Yesterday I spent the day playing with scrap, Keum Boo and used patina on a couple of pieces. Sadly the little amethyst I used in the smallest piece got a bit lost when I added liver of sulphur patina because I dipped it rather than painting the patina on, so I took the LoS off and it still looks a bit lost but I'll just put that down to experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191124_111301981-01.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	12221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191124_110417359-01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	12222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191124_110523229-01.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	12223

The flashy little opal in this one is synthetic but still very pretty (even if very badly set because the setting moved when I was soldering - again I'll chalk that up to experience!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191124_111330209.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	12224

Deb

Very effective Deb. Gemstones do tone down against a dark patina particularly as the agent gets onto the metal behind them. An exception is garnet, which sees brighter.
    Time to start a shop? Dennis.

You don't tell people it moved it is supposed to be like that, makes it more organic

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    You don't tell people it moved it is supposed to be like that, makes it more organic
    I'd only tell you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Very effective Deb. Gemstones do tone down against a dark patina particularly as the agent gets onto the metal behind them. An exception is garnet, which sees brighter.
    Time to start a shop? Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, yes I'd normally use a paintbrush to add the LoS so as not to get the patina behind it but didn't today. No matter, it's a tiny little thing and I'll wear it myself.

I do sell a few pieces via my Facebook page, I'm weighing up the pros and cons of having a different web presence next year. Mostly because I'm lazy and don't want this to feel like a job

I know just how you feel Deb, if you don't need it to be a job then just keep it as a hobby and sell items when and if you wish too, of course that is just my personal take on it
    I like to have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I know just how you feel Deb, if you don't need it to be a job then just keep it as a hobby and sell items when and if you wish too, of course that is just my personal take on it
    I like to have the choice.
    Absolutely, I make things in order to scratch my creative itch (which sounds like it needs treatment!) and selling a little means I can keep investing in materials. A friend asked me yesterday why I don't do craft fairs - mainly because I don't make enough to have adequate stock and also because I know I'd spend the day smiling at people who would pick things up and say, "Ooh, that's a bit expensive." I'm happy to keep experimenting, I rarely make anything I wouldn't wear myself and my daughter's always happy to take small simple pieces away from me the moment they're done.

That's how Pearlescence started...
    #slipperyslope!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    That's how Pearlescence started...
    #slipperyslope!
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Those are pretty
    Thank you