Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering misery

Default Soldering misery

Hello

I would be very grateful for some help please.

We (the Mrs and I) are trying to solder a pronged setting using silver solder and copper wire. It is a test piece as we are new to this.

The problem is that we can solder 2-3 prongs on with no problems, however upon soldering the 4th prong on all the solder on the previous prongs melt as the entire piece gets heated. The prongs then get disorientated and the hole thing is useless.

The Mrs then swears and shouts at me.

I would be grateful for any advise from anyone. We are using the cooksongold torch, Item No: 999 955.

As the piece is very small I cant see any way to "spot solder".

I thought about a soldering iron but learnt it does not get hot enough to melt silver.

Please help!

The problem you have is that the torch doesn't have a fine enough flame for something like this, much easier to do with a Smiths little torch or similar.
    You could try putting a dab of Tippex around the ones you have already done before doing the next.
    Also, are you bending the wire over to create two prongs at once? that will help somewhat.

Ah, but there is a solution:

Use longish wires. If only using four prongs, make a cross and solder it. If you need more, add them now, equally spaced.

Next bend all the wires down into a wigwam shape and arrange the ends to sit in little pits or grooves where they are needed (nip the ends so that the whole thing will stand level and stable)

Now you can apply flux, solder and heat without anything moving, or even go back to one that did not work.

Finally cut off the crossed bit and adjust the individual prongs. Dennis.

Or solder all in one operation, make jump rings, groove jump rings, make u shape wire x 2 leave plenty of length you can cut down later,
    flux all components at the joins, assemble dry, place solder at all joins, gently heat the entire piece moving flame until the solder flows, I did this just yesterday, (three items the same all in one operation) keep a solder pic handy in case
    you need to reposition solder etc. You could also drill small divots in your block to sit them in while you solder.
    Soldering is a skill and it takes practice to get it right copper is a good way learn
    and above all get some Valium for the Mrs

Thank you all so much!

We will try both methods today, the cross and the U shaped wires. Everything will be soldered in one go.

I looked at Little Smith's yesterday and they are a little costly for us at the moment. I hope these methods work.

Honestly thank you so much for the detailed responses, they are invaluable : )

I will swap beer for the valium, the Mrs prefers it ; )

Good replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    and above all get some Valium for the Mrs

Let us know how it goes, I normally do mine in U shape pairs so hadn't considered doing them all at once but it should work fine.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help.
    The U shaped wires worked a treat, really very appreciative of the help.

We (I faceted the gem, the Mrs made the silver mount) have now finally manged to make this 3ct Danburite pendant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	12240

Well done, a little bit of advice the picture is not high quality however in my opinion it looks as though you may need to bend the prongs over a little bit more to make the stone more secure