Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: photos of workshops

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    You're used to functioning in a cockpit, Barry; what more do you want?
    I hope you don't mind me offering a bit of serious advice: store your blocks of polish away from one another, preferably wrapped in something. It looks like your tripoli and rouge are slumming it together there.
    I have moved away from Tripoli and Rouge and, as suggested, now keep my polishes separated (I now use Luxi blue followed by white) - the photo was actually taken about 6 months ago, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Even though your comment about working in a cockpit was (I assume) meant to be humorous it does carry and element of truth. Most modern aircraft cockpits are designed with ergonomics in mind and a very careful design of controls to ensure they cannot be confused (e.g the flap lever is actually shaped like a little wing and the undercarriage lever is shaped like a wheel so you can feel the right control without looking at it). I do use some of the same ideas in my workshop layout because it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

my workshop is a work in progress but getting there slowly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7310175.jpg   P7310176.jpg   P7310177.jpg  
    Last edited by bills makes; 25-08-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Like your workbench, looks as if it could be cold there in winter tho, I have mine in my spare bedroom, next to a radiator. Mine is just a hobby, but I sell at some craft fairs occasionally. I have just moved house about 3 months ago, so have only just got set-up again. Everything is unpacked now, but still cant find things. I will post another photo later. I share my big bedroom with hubby, who plays with computers, taking apart and re-programming them etc. so he has one half and I have the other. I still have a good view, but the window is higher than before so I got a longer gas-lift in my chair so i can see out. Had to scrap my old bench as it wouldnt fit in the new room, so my bench top is screwed to a long piece of wood screwed to the wall and resting on two cupboards at the front. It seems to be quite solid but still have carpet on the floor, but I have a large plastic floor cover under my bench, just in case.

it is not to bad in winter i have a gas space heater i put this on for about 10 min and lovely and warm if it get cold later in the day i have a patio electric heater which i am fixing to the wall .

Finally I have my own workbench! Its an old school hardwood workshop bench that i got for a bargain price on ebay (complete with vintage chewing gum on the underside). Its had a good clean, been sanded back & oiled and I've cut a section out for the bench peg. It still needs something doing on the underside to hold a bench skin and could do with some better lighting but its fine for working in daylight so pretty much good to go now we've got the lighter evenings.
    It'll be nice not to have my stuff spread out in the living room and needing to pack away after each time I do anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3003.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	11122
    Hazel

Congratulations Hazel. I t looks ideal. Keep hold of the chewing gum for picking up small gemstones, Dennis.

Thats a nice handy wide windowsill too!
    I still need to get some shelves, I haven't cut a section out of my bench as I don't want to lose the space although now I do more in gold I sorta think I should do and get a skin really :/
    I have 2 benches, one for engraving and setting and another for everything else.
    Plus 3 helpers LOL

Name:	atthebench.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	11123

Enigma and hazel your workbenches/rooms look so cool. Enigma those three helpers would be good for snaffling gemstones that fall on the floor, as long as they smelt of chicken and you didn't want them back.

Ha, at least only the little one will actually try to sit on the bench! I also usually have 'help' in the work room, especially since my bench is now directly in front of her second favourite window sill for sunbathing.

Name:	cat toy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	11126
    Hazel

I see she's helping you to unpack, Hazel LOL

Yes, the first place to look for a stone thats gone flying is on the dog in my house