Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: photos of workshops

LMAO Ominicci, my friend is sitting by me with her jaw on the floor, i have just rebuilt my bench after 10 years and this was a photo of it before i started work, i have another worktable in the kitchen that is the untidiest mess you have ever seen, numerous toolboxes polishing motor ultrasonic tumbler and on and on, now need another work table to house all that stuff, the bench now looks like it is being used still not to untidy though, well not yet anyway lol

I really, reallly want a proper work area.

Like others I am currently working on a tray on my lap - fine for some things but not for others.

I've bought a small soldering torch etc, but haven't had the courage to use it yet. I'll be using that in the kitchen I think, the only place without carpet!

Ah well, we can all dream of a clean/tidy well organised work area - now I have a number of versions to aspire to from all of you.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

ATM setting up my small business/ workshop in a shared artist studio gallery. When I first viewed the spaces they had I saw the cellar and it was nasty, very low celing, small and looked like a cave, it was no suprise that nobody was interested in renting it.
    I am setting up my business on a low budget and thus the price was attractive. I had looked around at various office spaces where I knew my noise and mess wouldnt be welcome, the other option was renting a workshop on a farm but my gas torch wasnt much welcome there.

When I looked at the 'dungeon' as I call it I said to myself , I could put a workshop here... so I did. And I am happy there, and they managed to rent a space they thought would never get rented, and on an upside my company has very low overheads. It took 3 coats of paint to cover the cave and alot of plaster to cover the damp as best as poss. I love the enviorment of working with art all around me, we all have to start somewhere, some start with nothing, I started with a dream, hope and a prayer.

click to see images on flickr
    Last edited by glen; 22-10-2009 at 07:51 PM.

I just love hearing everybodys storys. ... It does not matter where you create, its what you create....... I started with one table in my spare room, now i have two tables woo hoo.... i recently said to hubby that i could do with one more and he replied " WHY ?? SO YOU CAN MAKE AN EVEN BIGGER MESS".... i won't say what i replied.......
    Last edited by amazingbabe; 22-10-2009 at 08:08 PM.

That looks like a pretty cool place to work! although i think i would nee a window - my new room, although it hasnt got any form of bench yet, has two windows, and whilst i didnt want my workbench under the big window, my craft table is which is great for the other crafts.

but yous has a kinda cosiness about it, and it obviously suits you, so everyone is happy!!
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Glen,

I know what you mean about dungeon workshops, I am currently setting up a workshop in an old Italian cantina, there was no other sensible place for it in the house and it was dingy and damp, but I've had the below ground level walls tanked and painted, and have managed to get some basic tools set up on the long stone bench that was used to store wine and I can now get some work done.

I still have a long way to go , but I am really happy to have my very own space at last, I only wish Cooksons delivered overseas !!

you live in derbyshire but have your workshop in italy? i think i have lmissed something here lol
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

hi lisa, best thing u can do is buy a cheap de-humidifier. otherwise yr tools are gonna suffer,

Sorry Su,

I have a space in my utility room in Derbyshire, but will be retiring in 3yrs and 9 months to a village in Italy, I say retiring, but what I actually mean is giving up the day job and becoming a fulltime jewellery type person ( and possibly doing courses in basic silversmithing.) This is a lifetime dream and I really can't wait and my OH has a spreadsheet on his computer and he has told me tonight that we only have 1000 working days left, aaarrrgggg, sooo excited we are nearly down to 3 figures OMG !!)

I don't get to spend more than six weeks of year in Italy, but have you tried giving up making jewellery for a fortnight, it really truly is an addiction ! So I have basic tools out there which I was able to buy locally, but no soldering facilities and definitely nothing like tumblers or pendant drills ( I'll take the serious gear out there when we move for good) , but it does mean that I can get a lot of piercing, filing and hammering done.

omg how exciting is that!!!! ohhhh i cant even imaging how wonderful you must be feeling!! please do keep us posted on it all
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive