Thread: Best way to make a simple sterling silver cross?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best way to make a simple sterling silver cross?

Hello there,

Im a beginner, and have only just done a 1 day course in silver jewellery where i only learnt how to make a simple band ring and pendant. For my next project I want to make a simple silver cross pendant. What is the best way to make this? Do I use a silver sheet? or wire (which i would have to aneel and bend straight?).

I thought about using a 2.5mm sheet, and cutting it into 3 strips? and soldering on the 2 sides of the cross? but is there a special way to solder the sides on? I'm assuming it would be different to the way i soldered the two ends of the ring I made in class?

I've tried searching all over the internet on how to make crosses and thought there would be more instructions but I can't find anything. HELP!!

Thank you in advance!!!

Crosses can be made every which way, using round wire, square wire, rectangular wire, or sheet. The important thing is to have a design in mind.
    If wanting to straightedge wire, you anneal it, clamp one end in a vice , grip the other with pliers and stretch.

It would be best to practice with copper first, so as not to risk wasting silver.
    Finally it is a good idea to do your soldering on the reverse side, as that will end up more messy. Dennis.

Thats great Dennis! Thank you very much

Would you mind telling me what's the best way to solder? Do i still paint the borax over the joints and heat up? and after, where do I place the solder strips? (would medium be suffice?) I only know how to solder a band ring, and as the cross will be thick on all sides Im unsure how or where to stick the solder strips.

Many thanks for your help so far!

Serene

Many of us avoid medium silver solder, as it does not flow well, so its hard or easy for us.

We also tend to use Auflux/Auroflux, as it is quick and easy to apply, but borax is fine. Paint the flux generously on the join and apply small pallions of solder on the 'messy' side.

Inspect it before pickling and if the solder has not flowed right through, reflux the good side and re-heat until it has. Then pickle and rinse. Dennis.

I think it would be good to get some good books on basic jewellery making principles, there are also some great tutorials online I believe .They will take you step by step through sawing, soldering, cleaning and polishing etc. It’s really helpful to get to grips with basic techniques which are really only learnt by practice and perseverance and then everything will come easily to you you. As Dennis says practice on copper which is available in much the same form as silver but much cheaper and is how we all learnt.

Hi.
    As Caroline suggests, there are plenty of good tutorials on the web. The two I have found of particular help are from Soham Harrison and Andrew Berry. Google either of those names and there are tutorials to keep you going for months. You will find that tutors can differ a little in their advice but like Microsoft programs, there can be more than one way of arriving at the result. Happy researching!
    Ian