Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning silver encased amber earrings

Default Cleaning silver encased amber earrings

Yet more advice sought of you experienced people please. Would it be safe to use an ultrasonic bath to clean amber earrings that are encased in silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably, but can't be sure as there are amber substitutes too.
    Why not use a hand hot detergent solution and an artists paint brush? Of course this will do nothing for tarnished silver, but a quick immersion in a silver dip solution and more rinsing will deal with that. Dennis.

Amber isn't a good one to put in ultrasonics (as with all organics).
    As for silver dip... Have a look online for what Jeff Herman has to say about the stuff. I no longer use it at all.

I wouldn’t put it in dip either although I do use it quickly occasionally on silver. Amber is a resin so soapy water is best and it’ll tolerate a silver polish, the cream stuff with the sponge should be ok as it tolerates rouge.

To be fair, Jeff Harman has a commercial interest in promoting Herman's Simply Clean and rubbishing the opposition. He also talks at length about unintentional removal of patinas.

I am lucky that I make silver pieces for family and friends, which I can observe over long periods, sometimes more than twenty years. When they bring me items which have become unsightly, I mostly give the a quick dip and rinse, using Goddards.
    Even doing this on a regular basis, I have not seen any damage on silver to give concern. Most gemstones also seem to survive.
    If there is a piece that has been intentionally patinated, or developed a patina you want to preserve, then it would not be logical to dip it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    To be fair, Jeff Harman has a commercial interest in promoting Herman's Simply Clean and rubbishing the opposition. He also talks at length about unintentional removal of patinas.
    Granted, but it's easier to point people towards his comments on the damage silver dips do than it is to point them towards various theses & micrographs which show the damage.

I would not put anything on amber or pearls which I wouldn't put on my face. To be safe use a polishing cloth and keep it well clear of the amber. For crevices use a cotton bud with a minute touch of polish.
    Once the amber is ruined it is ruined
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I’ve used amber from raw all my working life as I’m Polish. I polish it initially and very lightly with rouge or even toothpaste will work to bring it to a shine.

Amazing how what I thought of as a simple question elicits so many answers. This forum is nothing short of brilliant! Thank you all. The earrings in question have been repaired, cleaned and polished and finally reunited with a very happy friend of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk