Thread: Help with joins / soldering

Default Help with joins / soldering

Hi there - I'm trying to perfect this ring design, currently using one length of silver and joining the 'shape' part on the inner side. Is it a case if filing the end at a precise angle to get the seamless joint? wondering if I should be looking at doing the shape seperate insead as I can't quite get it exact without slightly thinning the join when filing to get absolutely smooth? It's very slight but you can see on the left hand side / join - it's very slightly thinner. Can anyone recommend a clamp to help keep the join tight when soldering too? Apologies if this all sounds a little ameteur! Thought somClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20191103_111207.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	12192eone here might have suggestions...

Yes it is a case of filing the to get a precise fit, you need to be really careful not over file and make it thinner. The way to go is make all the joints so that they are perfect before soldering, then you should only need the minimum of solder to make the join,
    resulting in less filing to remove the excess solder, to hold the piece in place I would use binding wire

Many thanks! Just need more practice - its getting that angle exactly right I'm struggling with before soldering. Looks simple enough, will try again
    Last edited by Jojow82; 04-11-2019 at 10:37 AM.

A filing clamp as pictured in my link, is a good starting point in getting the ends right.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUALITY-FIL...29271917&psc=1

As Bob has said, binding wire can be used to keep the parts in contact, but just slightly over-bending and relying on the springiness of the metal usually does the job for me. Then heat the piece gently overall, so as to encourage the joints to stay closed as the piece expands. Dennis.

Ah that sa handy little device. I'll look into that. Thankyou