Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earrings - too much swing?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some will like it and some won't, not really any any hard and fast rules

Something i've always wondered with stud earrings with an attached dangle is whether you need to take into account clearance for the lobe? Can you have a bulky dangle close to the stud?

I think you’re overthinking as put a group of women together of all ages who may have been wearing heavy earrings or just studs since they were young, you’d be amazed at the different lengths of an earlobe! I don’t have pierced ear but if you do I’d suggest it’s worthwhile road testing them, I used to get a friend in but now I just use the sticks you give customers to try them on. I would say the earring should start below the lobe preferably but......!
    I also had the problem last year of giving a pr of earrings to a friend then it transpired that one of her ears sat flat against her head and the other sat normally and the earrings hung differently. Matching ears are always useful let alone matching earrings she asked me what I could do!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Something i've always wondered with stud earrings with an attached dangle is whether you need to take into account clearance for the lobe? Can you have a bulky dangle close to the stud?
    This is my most common construction and clearance is is more certain by having the jump ring of the stud edge on and not flat against the ear lobe.
    But as Caroline has said, the lobe is so soft that it probably doesn't matter. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails btb Blue Topz Drop Earrings 1.jpg  

Quick picture. Was travelling yesterday so today i'm rough as a badger's bottom. I'll try and be coherent. Pearlesence, know what you mean about wrapped loops, will bear it in mind are half drilled pearls more expense than fully drilled? I have a feeling they are. Dennis at the moment no recipients to ask as not selling at moment so it's purely for the joy of making. I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?
    Attachment 12183
    Yes half drilled are more expensive but they are also of much better quality generally - which also shows in hobby v professional.
    And the findings are designed and made in one piece
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quick picture. Was travelling yesterday so today i'm rough as a badger's bottom. I'll try and be coherent. Pearlesence, know what you mean about wrapped loops, will bear it in mind are half drilled pearls more expense than fully drilled? I have a feeling they are. Dennis at the moment no recipients to ask as not selling at moment so it's purely for the joy of making. I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?
    Attachment 12183
    The practical side of me wonders what will happen when the ribbon gets dirty or not so crisp on the edges. It was the same with that craze for necklaces and bracelets fastened with a bow not a clasp. Ribbon only looks crisp and smart for a limited time.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    The practical side of me wonders what will happen when the ribbon gets dirty or not so crisp on the edges. It was the same with that craze for necklaces and bracelets fastened with a bow not a clasp. Ribbon only looks crisp and smart for a limited time.
    I wondered that so the whole earring is designed to be washable. Did ask a jewellery shop too and she wasn't worried about it. They're not going to be something you wear regularly I think

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This is my most common construction and clearance is is more certain by having the jump ring of the stud edge on and not flat against the ear lobe.
    But as Caroline has said, the lobe is so soft that it probably doesn't matter. Dennis.
    Ah Dennis that's another thing I've been debating, should a jump ring be flat against the ear, thanks ps great earrings
    Last edited by Sheen; 02-11-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I think you’re overthinking as put a group of women together of all ages who may have been wearing heavy earrings or just studs since they were young, you’d be amazed at the different lengths of an earlobe! I don’t have pierced ear but if you do I’d suggest it’s worthwhile road testing them, I used to get a friend in but now I just use the sticks you give customers to try them on. I would say the earring should start below the lobe preferably but......!
    I also had the problem last year of giving a pr of earrings to a friend then it transpired that one of her ears sat flat against her head and the other sat normally and the earrings hung differently. Matching ears are always useful let alone matching earrings she asked me what I could do!
    Surgery?
    I do have pierced ears, but my earlobes are practically non existant, so I have lots of clearance. Overthinking? That's my middle name

Surgery?
    I do have pierced ears, but my earlobes are practically non existant, so I have lots of clearance. Overthinking? That's my middle name
    I knew here well enough to say there is nothing I can do about the shape of your ear and as she’s heading for 70 they’ve probably been like that a while!

It’s a bit like everything else to do with jewellery, so many physical shapes and sizes of women, their ears, necks and wrists.