Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earrings - too much swing?

Default Earrings - too much swing?

Hi all, made some dangly earrings just over an inch in length, there's a pearl on one end and a stud post on the other. They're very swingy, acting like pendulums. Is this a problem? Or do women like earrings with a lot of movement. Will be interested to hear your opinion on this

Hi sheen,
    I guess it depends just how much they swing, but if it seems too much - maybe if they are attached to the stud via jump ring, then maybe a smaller jump ring, giving a snugger fit would allow less room for movement? Do you have a pic?

Many of my customers like movement in their earrings. It depends on the person really, it’s one of those how long is a piece of string moments. I’m not sure there is a right it depends on the woman wearing them.
    Last edited by CJ57; 31-10-2019 at 11:47 AM.

One of my recipients is very animated and watching her on video, giving a talk wearing long swaying earrings, I was struck by how distracting this was.

It made me resolve to reduce the number of joints for danglies, or use an ear hook with no joints at all. As Caroline suggests, ask the recipient what they would like. Dennis.

I personally dislike joined drops in any way shape or form. All our drop earrings are fixed. The articulated drops I see are all full drilled pearls wire wrapped to a hook. That screams hobby maker to me
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quick picture. Was travelling yesterday so today i'm rough as a badger's bottom. I'll try and be coherent. Pearlesence, know what you mean about wrapped loops, will bear it in mind are half drilled pearls more expense than fully drilled? I have a feeling they are. Dennis at the moment no recipients to ask as not selling at moment so it's purely for the joy of making. I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191101_095309.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	12183

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?
    Yes, below they are at their simplest. These have a fastener out of sight below, but they can have a hinge as well. (original picture done on copier, before I had camera).

I do like your folded ribbons. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Green Agate Earrings.jpg  

I do a fixed wire on on a lot of my earrings. Without fail the concern has been that there wouldn’t be enough movement which there is. Other customers want a ring and a separate fitting on the top so there is swing.Women have very different tastes and it not to do how it looks to other people it’s how they feel when they’re wearing them

Name:	22E17D3B-0441-4B10-AC0E-9D4F08BD38FD.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	12185

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, below they are at their simplest. These have a fastener out of sight below, but they can have a hinge as well. (original picture done on copier, before I had camera).

I do like your folded ribbons. Dennis
    Thankyou, i'm very excited about the ribbon concept
    Last edited by Sheen; 01-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I do a fixed wire on on a lot of my earrings. Without fail the concern has been that there wouldn’t be enough movement which there is. Other customers want a ring and a separate fitting on the top so there is swing.Women have very different tastes and it not to do how it looks to other people it’s how they feel when they’re wearing them

Name:	22E17D3B-0441-4B10-AC0E-9D4F08BD38FD.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	12185
    There's so many ways to do a particular idea, sometimes it's mind mangling