Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missed Opportunity?

But there's no point in "bigging it up" if you can't get hold of it in the first place. I did a course on using Argentium at the Birmingham Jewellery School in August and there were 10 of us all wanting a piece of it. Some people had ordered theirs weeks before and some had left it to buy on the day. Cooksons hadn't been able to supply even those who had pre-ordered. We read them the riot act and did get some for the second part of the course. I'd love to be able to shift from sterling to Argentium but despair about it ever happening!:

Everything said it was in stock when I was looking yesterday...and I have now finally worked out my shopping list ready to put in the basket during my elevensies today...so I would also like to be advised if it is worth all the researching effort I put in over the weekend...preferably by midday today...so I will know if this order is worth putting in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    I didn't really want to start to rant again about the website because I have already had a go about it yonks ago http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/2219-post14.html and Adam gave a nice reply saying that they were well aware of the problems and were in the process of getting the software to sort it out but obviously it would take some time . He did also give the impression that they were 'tweaking' bits in the meantime. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/2235-post15.html

It's just with the fact that they are trying to promote the Argentium...and every Argentium user (actual and prospective) in the country (....and I don't know but possibly even Europe too??!!) must visit the 'ARGENTIUM' section of the on line catalogue...they are missing an opportunity to 'big it up' and 'big up' Cooksons as a great and helpful supplier as well!!

With it being such a small section - with, I think, only 57 items in it I think it is worth a tweak!!

What do you reckon boys??
    Sorry - I realise this thread is tyring to be constructive about Argentium, but I think the exact same points go for most (if not all in an ideal world) of Cooksons products. Also Adam's response was mainly about the search facility, which I actually have no issue with. My issue was with the lack of general information on products (I know it should be in a new thread, but you won't hear more about it from me now!).

And I wouldn't expect these things to be done overnight - they take money, and too much time - Having rebranded two companies, the website always seems to be the biggest thing these days...there's so many possibilities, and only so much cash to invest.

Right...My basket is ready! Not that it will make a big difference to Cookson's coffers but it has made a serious dent in mine..being into 3 figures (..before the decimal point!!) In the light of the foregoing...any chance of any comments from Cookson's bods about argentium stock levels before I press the button?

Hi Barb,
    I've only just come across your post - and we do value all of our customers orders however small of large. We do currently have 0.8mm sheet out of stock and are working hard to rectify these stock issues. In regards to our lack of information on Argentium, yes I agree and we will try our best to seek further information from our supplier.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance at this moment in time.

Adam

Oh God...I nearly had heart failure then!!...I have literally just seconds ago sent my order through!!

Wippeeeee!!! I've not ordered .8 sheet so I'm OK!!!

I am really looking forward to having a play with a few more argentium bits...and then I might understand a bit more about it and add a few more reviews to help other people. (I was a good little girl and reviewed the 0.7 wire that I bought for earwires in June!!)

Thanks for replying!!! Even if the timing was a bit off for my delicate constitution!!

Hi Carole,
    I have chased your Argentium order and this will be leaving the building this afternoon and you should receive your order tomorrow. I'm sorry for the delay.

Adam

I've only just spotted this thread, and I'm a bit mystified tbh.

I thought the argentium knowledge in the knowledgebase, and in the argentium supplement was excellent. Certainly no less comprehensive than that available for sterling or gold.

Questions like what wires gauges to use, what solders etc etc are no different to those asked every day about sterling or fine silvers, and I for one certainly wouldn't expect all the answers to be provided by my bullion supplier - partly because most of them are part of the learning process that we all go through, and if I couldn't figure it out myself, I'd ask my peer group - in places like this forum.

What I do think is really pants, though, is having a reasonably comprehensive selection available, but NO SOLDER. I know it fuses beautifully, I've done it. But I rarely want to fuse, except at very small gauges, I want to solder.

And for those who hate firestain, it can be avoided completely by using firescoff. Which, erm, you can't get from Cooksons either. Oops.

I am terrible for forgetting about the knowledge base, maybe some folks don't realise it's there?
    Lucinda

Cooksons now have extra easy, easy and medium Argentium solders in stock... I have just bought some of all three because I have no idea which one would be best to work with. I have bought some 1mm wire - which I hope I will be able to draw down to thinner wires so that I can find out how much stronger 'much stronger' is in the finer gauges. I have bought 10 of each size bead - even though I have no idea what size holes they have. I have bought small pieces of .3 and .5 sheet to play around with bezels - and as it is 'much stronger' I don't know how much thinner I have to go to get the same effect as a heavier gauge of sterling. And some other bits and bobs. And every item has exactly the same product details...the advertising blurb about Argentium as a product...nothing at all about the specific product it is next to on the page.

Knowledge is abundant on the internet...and there is a fair bit of detailed information from America on Argentium. I know because I have been waiting for Argentium to come to this country since the beginning of the year and I have been trying to learn about it. There are countless thousands of people around the world with knowledge of working with sterling silver. Try to find more than a handful of people in the UK that have a working knowledge of Argentium who are willing to explain the ins and outs to you.

I just thought that Cooksons might be missing an opportunity to be a central point for getting some of the information that people are after - particularly since they are the sole distributor.