Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missed Opportunity?

Can you add to Caroleallen's comments about Argentium being out of stock? She says she has been awaiting delivery for some time....

US people on international forums I belong to have been using Argentim for around 5 years now, I always find it frustrating it takes so long for these things to turn up in the UK!

Anyway - the Argentium site has loads of info: Argentium Silver | Home

You need to register but once you have there's a whole load of technical data etc. Ganoskin and other sites should also have plenty of resource and information too.
    Lucinda

I know Argentium info is out there.... I came across a useful site this morning by Cynthia Eid..Cynthia Eid - article for Society of North American Goldsmiths about Argentium Sterling Silver

The point I was trying to make is that Cooksons - as the sole UK distributor - could make the whole buying process more interesting and helpful, particularly for the new and less confident people who might look at the products. At the moment, practically everything has the same "The Magic of Argentium Silver...." in its Product Information box - which is fine if you are just looking for one thing...but if you are trying to find out information about sizes and uses, it is really annoying to find nothing else there but this repeated paragraph on one item after another!! Everyone who wants Argentium has to go to Cooksons...they could put a bit more item specific information on the site. They could even become Argentium (UK) Knowledge Central!!

As someone who has not really done much soldering of any kind for 15 years,I would have liked to have had a bit of information about the Argentium solders, and how they perform....what sort of flux should be used etc... That is why I had to start looking at sites in America, because there is just no information here...

Since Cooksons seem to be trying to promote Argentium it is a shame that you can go to the web pages full of excitement at a totally new product and experience on offer and come away not knowing what to buy!

Oh, I understand that - but just thought the site was worth a mention. I do think that Cooksons and it's customers would benefit from more information on ALL of their products, but at the same time think it would be pointless for them to reproduce reams of already exisiting information.
    Lucinda

The problem with argentium (apart from not being able to get it very easily Cooksons!) is that they don't stock the solder for it. I managed to get some argentium paste solder from Rio Grande and will use it ONCE I HAVE MY ARGENTIUM!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    The problem with argentium (apart from not being able to get it very easily Cooksons!) is that they don't stock the solder for it. I managed to get some argentium paste solder from Rio Grande and will use it ONCE I HAVE MY ARGENTIUM!
    lol! Does sound silly not stocking a proper range like that, and also taking so long to provide the goods!
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I think they've got it in strip form now (at least that's what I just bought)
    but I would prefer to have paste solder
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    Oh, I understand that - but just thought the site was worth a mention. I do think that Cooksons and it's customers would benefit from more information on ALL of their products, but at the same time think it would be pointless for them to reproduce reams of already exisiting information.

I'm not sure I agree with the repro thing - Cookson's would be doing their customers a bigger benefit because everyone would know where to find everything in one simple source.

I know this is just about the Argentium, but I actually think this point goes for many of their products. When I started silversmithing a couple of years ago I didn't find the Cooksons info terribly useful as there is very little information on products full stop - especially for a novice.

I was doing a stone setting course this summer and there were several established jewellers there who had been in the business for 10-20 years, and even they stated that they found some of the Cooksons info lacking - in general. In some cases it put them off to other suppliers - which I guess is not a problem in the case of Argentium, but it is not an exscuse to be lax in terms of information on a product which you are the only supplier.

Cooksons - think of what you could be doing in terms of advice for all levels of user, you certainly seem to be embracing certain types of social media (twitter and this forum etc), what about a few more youtube type videos? Basic tutorials? and for certain products, your current titles/descriptions are awful. I have phoned up in the past to find out more, and had great advice, but I sholdn't need to call - it should all be there for me to make an informed decision whilst at your website.

Quote Originally Posted by pauljoels View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the repro thing - Cookson's would be doing their customers a bigger benefit because everyone would know where to find everything in one simple source.

I know this is just about the Argentium, but I actually think this point goes for many of their products. When I started silversmithing a couple of years ago I didn't find the Cooksons info terribly useful as there is very little information on products full stop - especially for a novice.

I was doing a stone setting course this summer and there were several established jewellers there who had been in the business for 10-20 years, and even they stated that they found some of the Cooksons info lacking - in general. In some cases it put them off to other suppliers - which I guess is not a problem in the case of Argentium, but it is not an exscuse to be lax in terms of information on a product which you are the only supplier.

Cooksons - think of what you could be doing in terms of advice for all levels of user, you certainly seem to be embracing certain types of social media (twitter and this forum etc), what about a few more youtube type videos? Basic tutorials? and for certain products, your current titles/descriptions are awful. I have phoned up in the past to find out more, and had great advice, but I sholdn't need to call - it should all be there for me to make an informed decision whilst at your website.
    I agree. A short description of what something does, or is, is invaluable when you are thinking of buying something, whether as a novice or have done the technique before. I too, have rung up for more info and sometimes you just don't get the info you need in order to make an informed decision, which either sends you off to the competition, or you don't bother with buying! As an example, I went onto their website the other day to order some wire. On the list it said "Standard" wire. I expected to see 'soft', 'half hard' and 'hard'. I rang up to find out what 'standard' was and they said 'do you have the catalogue!!! (Yes I have). Standard wire is listed in the catalogue as soft. Now that is not very helpful to someone who may not have the catalogue - think of all that lost business Cookies! This isn't about moaning about Cooksons, its about telling it like it is.
    Jules

I didn't really want to start to rant again about the website because I have already had a go about it yonks ago http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/2219-post14.html and Adam gave a nice reply saying that they were well aware of the problems and were in the process of getting the software to sort it out but obviously it would take some time . He did also give the impression that they were 'tweaking' bits in the meantime. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/2235-post15.html

It's just with the fact that they are trying to promote the Argentium...and every Argentium user (actual and prospective) in the country (....and I don't know but possibly even Europe too??!!) must visit the 'ARGENTIUM' section of the on line catalogue...they are missing an opportunity to 'big it up' and 'big up' Cooksons as a great and helpful supplier as well!!

With it being such a small section - with, I think, only 57 items in it I think it is worth a tweak!!

What do you reckon boys??