Thread: An Elastic Bracelet.

Default An Elastic Bracelet.

Having made the ring, earring, and necklace set, which you can see in my album, I decided to try for an elastic bracelet in the same colourway.

My first picture shows the components:
    Each D-shaped piece was pierced from part of a 35.0 mm circle. The rectangular spacers measure 35.0 x 12.0 mm.

The brass jig was used to scribe the distance between holes and the centres marked with dividers.

Once drilled and polished, the pieces were threaded with two rows of 1.0 mm Beadalon Elasticity stretch cord. This was surprisingly easy to do, as the cord is smooth and stiff.

The ends were tied with surgeons’ knots, secured with small drops of GS Hypo Cement.

I was well out of my comfort zone with this, but it was not as difficult as expected.

Thickness of D-shapes 3.0mm. Thickness of rectangles 5.0mm. Holes drilled1.2mm.
    Length of bracelet before joining 195mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ab1 The parts And A Jig.jpg   Ab2 The Elastic Bracelet.jpg  

Very retro colours Dennis. I think you’re on trend!

I thick you are becoming addicted, not that that is a bad thing

Thank you Caroline, that was my aim- to imitate the 1920s look and the duller colouring of the time due to the use of Bakelite.
    The other similarity was that it was a very unsettled time, much like now.

Thank you Bob. Addictive? Well yes--I sill have two more complete sets to make and no doubt will show them here. They don't seem to generate a lot if interest, but there are plenty of problems to solve, which might apply to more orthodox work. Dennis.

Dennis I am pretty much interested in most types of construction also in varied materials, there is always some thing to learn or just admire, so as far as I'm concerned keep them coming
    no matter how unorthodox

To do an elastic bracelet well is v important. I spent a long time myself researching/asking about best knots, glue, etc, anything knotted needs to be durable. I use that glue for thin cord necklaces too, such as silk and superlon.

Just make sure with that elastic cord, that you give it a little bit of a prestretch so it doesn't go gappy on you

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Just make sure with that elastic cord, that you give it a little bit of a prestretch so it doesn't go gappy on you
    Thank you Sheena-noted. Dennis.