Thread: Soldering jump rings

Default Soldering jump rings

Hello I’m very new round here so excuse my ignorance! I’m making simple silver necklaces with personalised blanks that I metal stamp. I’ve come across a couple of issues ,

1. When I try to solder the jump rings from chain to the metal blank , it acts as a heat sink and the solder paste won’t melt. I’ve tried lots of different angles with the torch but can’t get it to work. Any suggestions?

2. The metal stamping seems quite light and I’d like a deeper impression, however if I double hit then the silver bar begins to bend out of shape. I’m using the little impress art block but on a wooden kitchen surface, I wonder if this has an affect and should I try stamping on a harder surface?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soldering a small item onto a larger item is slightly tricky.
    You need to make sure that you thoroughly heat the large item first and then as the large item starts to glow red you can direct the heat towards the jump ring.
    Solder paste is not always ideal for this kind of job- it is great for soldering jump rings when there is no large item involved but the flux may burn out before the solder flows when a larger piece is involved in which case solder strip and borax or auflux work better.
    I am not sure what is bending out of shape when you are stamping but I always stamp on a steel sheet with a thick piece of paper between the item and the sheet, works for me

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Soldering a small item onto a larger item is slightly tricky.
    You need to make sure that you thoroughly heat the large item first and then as the large item starts to glow red you can direct the heat towards the jump ring.
    Solder paste is not always ideal for this kind of job- it is great for soldering jump rings when there is no large item involved but the flux may burn out before the solder flows when a larger piece is involved in which case solder strip and borax or auflux work better.
    I am not sure what is bending out of shape when you are stamping but I always stamp on a steel sheet with a thick piece of paper between the item and the sheet, works for me
    That’s fantastic, thank you for taking time to answer ... I’ll have a go with that. Have just ordered a borax flux bar and dish combo so hopefully that’ll work better . Thanks again! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you order strip solder as well? I know that may sound obvious but you didn’t mention it