Thread: Pickle pot troubles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pickle pot troubles

Happy wednesday, just about to pickle some silver when i discovered that my alum seems to be escaping my pickle pot. By evaporation i think. A problem? Some photos below. Okay just to clean out the mess and continue? The screw at the bottom's a bit rusted. I do find my pickle slightly annoying it takes 3/4 of an hour to get up to heat to have any effect on my metal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191023_155448.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	12175
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191023_155456.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	12176
    Last edited by Sheen; 23-10-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Sheena,
    It looks as if you are showing a domestic slow cooker with the ceramic dish removed. The aluminium outer with its iron screw is not meant to be filled directly and is now probably an electric hazard. At best it will soon trip a contact breaker and at worst give you a nasty shock.

A new one won't cost the earth and if you can, get an oval one which can accommodate longer pieces.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ll+slow+cooker

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-10-2019 at 08:32 PM.

You definitely need to return the ceramic dish if it’s still safe but it’s looking a bit worrying. It shouldn’t take longer than about 15 mins to get to heat if it has a high heat and once it’s warm just turn it down to low to keep it ticking over. Should only take a few minutes in warm alum

I am assuming that you are using the insert, however you are still have the problem, if so I would suggest it is caused by condensation forming on the lid and running down the inside if this is the case try to form a habit of wiping the inside after it has cooled
    some of the units seal better than other around the rim.
    The problem with slow heating is is most likely due to element being contaminated and damaged, commercial units do not have this problem they just cost three times the price as Dennis said it is not worth trying to fix it
    that is the trade off you make buy buying a crock pot, I just always buy two and when one fails for whatever reason I have a immediate replacement.( current one is 4 years old )
    Tip when you source a replacement, cover the screw at the bottom with Silicone sealant this will stop moisture ruing into the space underneath and the unit will last longer.

I've had the glaze on slow cookers craze before now - once that happens, it's porous and will allow pickle through to the metal as well.

Fab answers. The photos are of the ceramic insert and the metal container. My alum mixture was in the ceramic pot. I think china is right in saying that the mixture has been dripping of the lid and running down the inside into the metal section.
    I have felt for some time that my alum wasn't working terribly well. I was having to heat it til it was steaming a little to get it to work. I haven't had my pot for very long and had never used one before so didn't know what to expect. I'd be delighted if i can get the blasted thing ready to clean metal in 15 mins.