Thread: Video microscope

Default Video microscope

I mentioned to a mate who is currently in China that I would like to get hold of a microscope for stone setting and other things, complaining that at this sage they are out of my price range
    and used item are grabbed before you can make a offer. He suggested one ohttps://www.banggood.com/MUSTOOL-G710-1000X-4-3-inches-HD-1080P-Portable-Desktop-LCD-Digital-Microscope-20481536-Resolution-Obj-p-1363886.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=AUf these

I commented that I would have to test one to see if it was suitable, well he sent me a email saying that he has secured a sample item and will bring it back with him in a couple of weeks, I will let
    you all know what I think, I am very sceptical at this stage

Will be very interested to see how you get on Bob. I've been equally sceptical yet intrigued by them!
    Tess

40mm (max) focal distance and 30fps is going to be a bit frustrating, I suspect. Any time this type of thing surfaces as discussion in the engraving groups there's also the claims of image lag, but it's never quantified.

Amscope are often slated, but there's a fair few people using them - any scope is better than no scope. Interesting that the current fashion seems to have moved from Meiji to Leica although I've not seen any justification why.

Yes Peter as I said I am sceptical, it is going to cost me nothing so I won't condemn it until I lay my hands on it and can evaluate it, the other side is today in the world of electronics what was the latest thing today is outdated tomorrow,
    it will be interesting to play with, I went to auction the other day to bid on a Leica, I gave up at $2900 almost new price

It's also a useful tool for photographing gemstones (might need a light panel under it) and for showing customers what's wrong with their jewellery. I often use a loupe attached to my phone, but a freestanding unit might be easier.

I'm trying to avoid customers like the plague (it's just a hobby) trouble is too many people know I make jewellery and I seem to be getting more and more "customers"

If anyone's interested there's a regular on a forum who builds scopes from
    quality parts - he's put a couple of his latest ones up for sale just this week.
    You'll find them in the classified section under gemological instruments. I won't put the link here as you need
    to be a member to read their classifieds. Both are camera adapted with example photos.
    If you're on a budget and want a really well built scope his work is always worth a look.
    (He also does raman kit at good prices from time to time)
    Ah - I cant post the link to the site anyway because I havn't posted 5 times here but its a well known
    online gemology forum... (I hope that's ok Peter ?)

john
    (Sorry all - I read here but lurk a lot...)

Hi John - is that https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/index.php ?

I admit, the use of the USB cameras is a bodge when compared with a "proper" gemological scope; I could probably set up my Nikon to do darkfield, but it'd be too restricting to have the stage in the way given the other uses I put it through!

Thanks I will check it out

I agree Peter - always the right tool for the job - and the best you can get.
    But if you need to compromise its good to have options.

john