Thread: Leaving brushed parts brushed and polished parts polished

Default Leaving brushed parts brushed and polished parts polished

I've been trying to practice restoring this part of strap from the junk drawer however I can't figure out how to brush the steel while leaving the decorative screws polished (the screws are nor removable).

I can't mask the screws off with tape because they are to small to cut a regular shape. I tried to mask them with Lacomit but the brushing process removed the Lacomit and brushed the screws. How should I do this. Is there a hard varnish I can coat the screws with, brush them then dissolve the varnish somehow?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C279GA - Copy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	12170

If the screws are level with the surface, then it is just not possible to avoid them.

The best you can do is to render the strap evenly satin, using a medium to fine rubbing down block (not a thin pad) keeping an even drawing action in one direction only. Rubbing down blocks come from hardware or paint shops.

Then burnish each screw carefully with a curved hand burnisher, to restore its shine. Tedious, but possible.
    Please let us see the result. Good luck. Dennis.

I would agree with Dennis. I’d go with the main area finish overall and then either tape off the main area and cut round the screws with a scalpel and repolish or burnish each one singly

Is there no way to glue metal discs to them then dissolve the glue?

I have no idea but I feel that would take longer , cutting discs to size, gluing, then dissolving and cleaning. This isn’t really something we have to undertake in jewellery making though. The ideas offered are pretty much the route we’d take. Are there no restoration groups on FB or online who have more advice suited to the job. Glue is a bit of a last resort with us!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushedSteel View Post
    Is there no way to glue metal discs to them then dissolve the glue?
    To get a good brushed finished effect, you need a clear run without obstructions. Hence raising the screws further is counter productive. Dennis.