Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic immersion burnishing

Default Ultrasonic immersion burnishing

Apparently one of the big luxury jewellery manufacturers has developed ultrasonic immersion burnishing technology, which they're now using on all their production pieces instead of traditional polishing. Apparently the technology cost millions to develop and they plan to make traditional polishers redundant. The burnishing apparently results in a smooth surface whilst reducing metal weight-loss and preserving sharp edges on complex shapes. Because the entire piece is immersed, all surfaces (internal and external, including usually hard-to-reach areas) are polished simultaneously. I've been Googling it but I can't find any further details. Does anyone else know anything? Apparently the immersion liquid (which I gather is a slurry) is the critical component. I don't suppose if anyone knows whether it's commercially available? Whenever I Google the topic I just get results for an ultrasonic handpiece (which seems a bit like a souped-up Foredom), but the technology was described to me as being more like an ultrasonic bath.

Looks like it's a bit out of our price range at the moment, Michael. It is also remarkably like something we see posted here on April 1st.
    Do you have a link to the original article? Dennis.

That would take the fun out of it, there is something magical about going through the various stages of hand polishing on a buff, ( but then I don't have a smart phone either)
    I would suggest if it cost millions to develop then who ever parted with the millions is going to be studiously guarding the secret and not posting it on Google or anywhere else

I have a love hate relationship with polishing but the end result is really satisfying when you’ve put the effort in. I don’t have a smart phone or a tumbler come to that Bob!

Caroline, I have a tumbler I don't use it for polishing metal I use for cleaning rough stones
    this is off topic, my partner Cait and I are off to Sydney tomorrow (later today ) going to Edinburgh Military Tattoo biggest one ever staged

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Caroline, I have a tumbler I don't use it for polishing metal I use for cleaning rough stones
    this is off topic, my partner Cait and I are off to Sydney tomorrow (later today ) going to Edinburgh Military Tattoo biggest one ever staged
    I haven’t been since I was a wee girl. Hope you enjoy it

Unfortunately the ultrasonic handpiece is a red herring; it's nothing like the technology that was described to me. Apparently with immersion burnishing all you do is hook the items onto a framework and dip it in the liquid and turn on the machine. Some time later, you fish the items out and they're polished! No hand-working necessary, apparently. I didn't learn about it from an article, it was from a former colleague who shamelessly leaked details of the project to anyone who would listen! But apparently it's revolutionising jewellery finishing and has already been applied to the company's newest range of products. I won't name the company otherwise it would be obvious who leaked the info, but it is a very famous brand name. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything! Apparently ultrasonic burnishing is used in things like automotive manufacturing but I'm specifically interested in jewellery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Looks like it's a bit out of our price range at the moment, Michael. It is also remarkably like something we see posted here on April 1st.
    Do you have a link to the original article? Dennis.

The only ultrasonic hanpiece's I have come across are for Dental use such as these http://www.mclarendental.com.au/handpieces/

I haven't been able to find anything online about the process, nor any similar.
    I'm aware of the use of abrasive media in a vibratory tumbler for parts finishing; that's used extensively on automotive parts as well as for finishing of jewellery castings (not in the same batch). Not ultrasonic though.

There are ultralsonic vibratory tumblers available, I have never used one nor do I know any one who has.