Thread: 1.3mm zircons. What adhesive ?

Default 1.3mm zircons. What adhesive ?

Help! I have been asked to replace 2 lost 1.3 mm zircons on a very pretty piece of costume jewellery. They appear to be “glued” into shallow depressions. What adhesive should be used please?
    I have bought 1000 1.3 zircons for a couple of £s!

Hello, the simplest way is to use a gel superglue, such as Loctite Gel control, available in hardware shops.

Dispense onto a piece of stiff plastic packaging and transfer sparingly into the depressions of your piece, using the end of a needle, or fine saw blade. Then pop in the stone with a pointy piece of BluTack and press home. The glue takes a long time to set when dispensed, but only about 5 seconds with the stone in place.

If quality is important you might look for foiled pointed-back chatons (clear) instead, because they will turn out more sparkly when glued. You might not think it worthwhile for just two. Dennis.

Don’t buy any chatons, I have tens of thousands of antique chatons in all colours, shapes and sizes. I’m sure there will be an equivalent size. I agree with Dennis if it’s a period piece and given the designs of the costume jewellery that came with the lot they date to around the 50s and the quality is outstanding, mostly Czech

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hello, the simplest way is to use a gel superglue, such as Loctite Gel control, available in hardware shops.

Dispense onto a piece of stiff plastic packaging and transfer sparingly into the depressions of your piece, using the end of a needle, or fine saw blade. Then pop in the stone with a pointy piece of BluTack and press home. The glue takes a long time to set when dispensed, but only about 5 seconds with the stone in place.

If quality is important you might look for foiled pointed-back chatons (clear) instead, because they will turn out more sparkly when glued. You might not think it worthwhile for just two. Dennis.
    May I change the recommend slightly to gel superglue rather than the runny liquid. Gel much easier to control. At the same time invest in a tube of glue remover which will dissolve the glue if it all goes horribly wrong or you stick your finger to your ear by mistake. Both easily available on eBay or Amazon
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Loctite Gel Control, is a gel version

As always, super quick practical responses. Thank you all for your help and advice. Perhaps one day I will be able to do the same.......!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but a simple question, or comment is all we need to set us off on long discussion, to keep the forum viable. We are delighted to hear from you.

Forum activity shows that hundreds of members browse here anonymously every day, without any input at all.

Think not only 'What can the forum do for me', but also 'What can I do for the forum'. Dennis.