Thread: Nice to meet you (from Belgium)

Default Nice to meet you (from Belgium)

Hello everyone,

I came to introduce myself

I live in Belgium, near the coast.

About a decade ago I started in Sint Lucas Antwerp to get my masters degree, but I did not finish.

Last summer I gathered up all the courage I could find and got my jewelry making supplies back from the attick

I am now a student in a evening course, so once a week I get to learn a lot for a few hours. Currently I started year 3, in total there are 5 years to finish.

For my dayjob I am a city official for urban planning

Nice to meet everyone here.

Hi Lenniek and welcome.
    I hope you are enjoying the renaissance of your jewellery making.
    If you browse this forum, you will find lots of information, but it relies for its existance on pictures of new work, discussions on related subjects and questions. Dennis.

Hello Lennie
    Exciting times for you. I’ve had family and friends who are architects and planners and it was always said they are frustrated artists!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hello Lennie
    Exciting times for you. I’ve had family and friends who are architects and planners and it was always said they are frustrated artists!
    I retired last year after practicing architecture for 41 years. It was always said we were frustrated builders. Well, my carpentry is very basic and I don’t enjoy decorating but discovering silversmithing and jewellery making a year or two earlier has been an absolute joy. I have so much to learn but the company of such skilful people on this forum is an enormous help, THANKYOU!!

My first brother in law who I loved to bits was an architect and the architecture dept was joined on to Edinburgh College of Art and I had a lot of friends there. I was and am still in awe of your controlled penwork so I would imagine jewellery and line will come naturally to you. I have a really keen eye for being a mm out which drives my joiner and my husband bonkers if they are doing work, however I’ve made a few rectangles and squares recently and one side has always been out and I’ve had to cut it up, something definitely going awry in my measuring!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    My first brother in law who I loved to bits was an architect and the architecture dept was joined on to Edinburgh College of Art and I had a lot of friends there. I was and am still in awe of your controlled penwork so I would imagine jewellery and line will come naturally to you. I have a really keen eye for being a mm out which drives my joiner and my husband bonkers if they are doing work, however I’ve made a few rectangles and squares recently and one side has always been out and I’ve had to cut it up, something definitely going awry in my measuring!!
    Fortunately my generation drew with pens but AutoCad and similar programs predominate now. That’s okay but sadly, there is too much evidence of pulling down from standard design detail menus and losing the individual design. I guess that may be a reason why I like to make individual pieces.

Me too. I only make one off or I’d be bored to tears.
    Sorry Lennie we hijacked your post, will shut up now

Hi LennieK,
    Welcome to the forum. I completed my training in the same way as you, taking all the classes of a Jewellery design and manufacture degree on a part time basis so I fully understand your situation. I am in The Netherlands, been here for little over 16 years from the UK. I find myself often in Belgium; Brussels visiting customers and of course picking up diamonds from Antwerp.
    Are you studying back in Antwerp?
    Poor old Les