Thread: Crafting catalogue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crafting catalogue

This week I received a heavy envelope from Cookson. Ooh a new catalogue I thought and opened with anticipation. Inside was a 39 page booklet called Let’s Make. 12 projects from domed earrings, a wired gingerbread man, something with Fimo. What a waste of money to send out to all their customers I’m assuming, it’ll just go in the waste paper. I’m pretty sure an algorithm will show my purchases don’t match up to the content of the book.
    Sometimes I wish when searching for a serious bit of kit and 100 crafting items come up that there were 2 catalogues, one for serious jewellers and another for people who like to craft. I miss the old Cookson brand and whatever they were before when I started using them. It’s like 2 separate companies now all thrown together.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF3460AD-984C-4C6D-8C83-79BD11B85330.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	12166

Yes, all that crafting will annoy professional customers and tempt them to go elsewhere, but where is better?
    I also remember some years back, when on here I dismissed wire wrapping and use of ready made bezel cups etc, as just crafting, I was condemned as being elitist.
    Cookson needs the business and this forum needs the members, so I am teaching myself to be more tolerant. Dennis.

It may be an annoyance, at least they will deal "crafters" there are many companies out there (increasing) that will not deal with you unless you are a business, while this is good if you are a business it creates big problems for those who
    do not have a business, I know because I am one of the latter, I do it just as a hobby and the occasional commission, however I produce high quality items the same as any business, so I for one commend Cooksons as they deal with both.
    One large American company ( not mentioning any names ) will not deal with me any longer because I am not a business, all this does is make it difficult for persons such as myself to purchase high quality goods etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, all that crafting will annoy professional customers and tempt them to go elsewhere, but where is better?
    I also remember some years back, when on here I dismissed wire wrapping and use of ready made bezel cups etc, as just crafting, I was condemned as being elitist.
    Cookson needs the business and this forum needs the members, so I am teaching myself to be more tolerant. Dennis.
    Yes the forum has a broad church as does their customer base. I just feel this rather grand rather expensive keep book would be better sent elsewhere. There are huge amounts of much cheaper websites now that cater for crafters, Cookson seem to sell more craft supplies now and putting a search through their website is really slow. I know I’m not buying as much from them anymore except for metal but only because it’s easier and probably not cheaper than the other metal sites. I don’t care if we are called elitist.
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-10-2019 at 05:30 PM.

It's also available online

I consider myself primarily a hobby maker, albeit one that occasionally sells the occasional piece, and am happy that I can buy from reputable sources such as Cooksons. By the same token other bullion sellers don't have restrictions so it would be foolish of Cooksons to limit their revenue stream.