Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gallery won't use my name!!!

That's all very odd, have you asked them to explain why they wont use your name but they will for some of their other designers? It'll be easier to argue your case if you understand their reasoning I think!
    Lucinda

i'm gonna try to go see them in the coming week(when I've plucked up courage) and try and tackle them about it, will let you know if anything changes but please keep the advice coming!!!!!!!!!!!! x x x
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

You didn't comment about a written agreement, so maybe you don't have one - it would outline details like this and who insures the items, what happens if one is stolen or damaged etc. Maybe one would be a good idea for your own future protection. There are sample ones on-line you can use as a basis to draw one up. I started a draft one, loosely based on ones I'd seen, but haven't bothered to put any stock out like that, so have never used it. Look for Consignment Agreement - they'll be mainly US based ones, but it will give you some ideas.

I have something similar for other professional arrangements, like stck photography use and design work - which covers things like credits for my work, copyright etc. They can be pretty simple, you don't need a lawyer to draw one up necessarily, but I'd recommend getting some of the arrangements at least confirmed in writing if you haven't already - me insisting on confirming one piece of work in writing (just a letter listing what we'd discussed and agreed), won me the resulting court case. I've had enough legal tussles over the years to habitually put everything in writing now. Or maybe I'm just overly suspicious and un-trusting.

I think you at least deserve an explanation of the disparity is naming other work. Good luck.

Boo,
    you really do have a post-grad from the University of Life, don't you?

J x

I must admit I have a range of other designers in my shop but I don't and won't display a designers name if they sell the same pieces direct.
    e.g. I'm trial stocking Penny Warrens work but if you go to her website she has designs and stockists (not direct sales areas).
    Nick Hubbard (my favourite designer) sells direct but has a different range for direct sales and exclusives for shops and galleries.

Maybe they have similar concerns and maybe they don't want anyone else stocking you locally too (protecting you their asset )
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    you really do have a post-grad from the University of Life, don't you?
    I've learned a lot of lessons the hard way. I've been self employed and working alone for 22 years - if I don't look after me, no one else does.

Update, i popped in the gallery today and to my surprise and delight my name plaque is now back on my display!!! i'm sooo happy, i'm proud of my work and i just wanted the recognition, maybe they picked up on "the vibes" of our discussion!!!! any how i don't care why it's happened i'm just glad it has so i don't end up with a confrontation.
    thanks everyone for your advice i will refer to it in future i'm sure x x x x
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Oh well, there you go then! Maybe they had a think and decided you were being treated unfairly.
    Lucinda

How weird......but great news!

Brilliant news - I'm sort of sad we didn't have to ride to your rescue tho
    Di x