Thread: The Last of My Acrylic Animals.

Default The Last of My Acrylic Animals.

Here is my hanging panda, made for a special request.

The black back plate was cut out first, and the arms formed by warming over a soft flame and then bending them around the stem of a hot soldering iron.

The colour variegation was done by temporarily tacking an ivory sheet on top of a black one, cutting out the design, and then reassembling the wanted pieces, to form the next layer.

The eyes are made from silver wire and the spray of leaves is held in place by a staple, closed in-between the layers.

As it is intended to decorate a backpack, or a sports bag, the hanger is super strong, with the plate on the reverse glued and screwed.

It was just as difficult to make as working in silver, but without having a piece of lasting value. So, I don’t expect to make any more animals.

Acrylic sheet, 3.00mm.
    Wire for eyes, round 1.4mm and half-round 1.4x .70mm
    Height of panda, 30mm. Glue, Loctite Power Flex . Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A7 Hanging Panda.jpg   A7a Panda Reverse.jpg  

Dare I say it he/she is cute, don't know about the lasting value just look what they are charging in opp shops for those throw away acrylic 60's items
    Last edited by china; 30-09-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Thank you Bob. I still have another full set to make, of a different design (earrings, necklace and ring). Then there are two elasticated bracelets. After that I hope to retire from acrylics. No doubt I am already full of acrylic granules, and some of them will have found their way to the sea. Dennis.

Thank you Sarah. Are you back in Blighty now? If so, how does it feel after all this time? Dennis.

Not yet Dennis , still waiting for somebody to buy my farm......
    I did go back last month for a week with friends though, rather nice not to be blinded by the sun every time you step outside tbh

Your panda is just too cute Dennis, he’s lovely!

Your Panda is gorgeous Dennis. Sounds like lots of work went into him, but worth it as he's so lovely.

Haha, thank you Karen. The final blow was that when putting in one of the screws at the back, an eye started popping out.
    What would you have thought the chances were of that happening? Dennis.