Thread: Gold earrings

Default Gold earrings

...a first for me, a pair of 9ct gold earrings set with reclaimed diamonds. I found it very stressful working with gold, every bit I filed off I put in a little box. The finish wasn't perfect even though I tried really hard. Next time (if there is a next time) I will form the circles from a longer piece of wire instead of cutting to length and shaping. They only measure about 10mm across x 2mm thick and were very difficult. I hadn't appreciated how much strength you need to form rings, silver is so much easier. Fortunately they are for a friend who has been nagging me for years to make gold earrings for her even though I kept saying I don't work with gold.Still at least I can relax now....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025 (2).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	12160

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    ...a first for me, a pair of 9ct gold earrings set with reclaimed diamonds. I found it very stressful working with gold, every bit I filed off I put in a little box. The finish wasn't perfect even though I tried really hard. Next time (if there is a next time) I will form the circles from a longer piece of wire instead of cutting to length and shaping. They only measure about 10mm across x 2mm thick and were very difficult. I hadn't appreciated how much strength you need to form rings, silver is so much easier. Fortunately they are for a friend who has been nagging me for years to make gold earrings for her even though I kept saying I don't work with gold.Still at least I can relax now....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025 (2).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	12160
    Very nice Theresa. Your friend should be delighted with those.
    I've only used gold once, 18ct for a bezel, and I have the residual dust safely tucked away too!

Well at least you managed it Theresa, but to be fair that.s quite a hefty wire for a ten mm ring.
    I agree that a longer piece of wire would have been easier to handle and to save buying too much gold, I have occasionally butt jointed and soldered on a legth of silver wire to give me a handle. Dennis.

They are very nice. I made some almost exactly the same as that a couple of weeks ago, although the wire was 1mm and they were silver and not gold, and moonstones and not diamonds. Immediately claimed by my daughter.
    I'm sure your friend will love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well at least you managed it Theresa, but to be fair that.s quite a hefty wire for a ten mm ring.
    I agree that a longer piece of wire would have been easier to handle and to save buying too much gold, I have occasionally butt jointed and soldered on a legth of silver wire to give me a handle. Dennis.
    That's a good idea, thank you - I didn't think of it. Perhaps next time........ She collected them today and they did look nice on her.

These are really pretty, am sure your friend was thrilled with them.