Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it I want to make?

Default What is it I want to make?

I want to make a chain with probably peridot gems spread along the circumference.
    My plan is to wrap a bezel around the edge of a tablet shaped stone with jumprings attached, but what is this setting called?
    I've been trying to find instructions on how to do it without knowing what it's called and not getting anywhere.
    Thanks in advance

Well I can only guess at what you have in mind Nick, but if it is a gem set chain, then the gems can be tube set, or bezel set.

Learn how to make your preferred setting, connect them with links of your choice and add a fastener.

Short necklaces measure about 41cm. Alternatively you can make a really long one, which can go right over the head, either once or twice twice.

A book on chain making and some experiments with copper wire will help. Alternatively you can browse multi gem set chains on line.

My picture shows a hand made chain with tube set crystals. You could also use plainer settings, connected by segments of bought chain. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rs1 Short Chain With Red Crystals.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 21-09-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Nice necklace Dennis but I'm thinking of sth like an aspirin shaped stone with the bezel around the edge , so in effect you can see "through" the gem.
    Nick

like a wraptite setting?

If you're using standard size gemstones, cookson's sell these ready to use.

An aspirin shaped stone, otherwise known as a cabochon, needs a bezel cup. also available ready made.
    To see right through you cut out the back leaving a tiny ledge. Then you press the rim (the bezel) home with a bezel pusher.
    Of course bezel cups made by you will fit much better and look neater.

https://www.cooksongold.com/category...uery=bezel+cup
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Yes, that's the one.
    Thanks v much . I knew I'd seen the name swhere Mizgeorge.
    Thanks too Dennis. I think what I.ll do now though is as Dennis suggests,make a standard bezel setting and then cut away most of the back so more stone shows.
    I'll have more faith in security.
    Nick
    Last edited by NickD; 22-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Just see if you can get bezel cup, this will help you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Yes, that's the one.
    Thanks v much . I knew I'd seen the name swhere Mizgeorge.
    Thanks too Dennis. I think what I.ll do now though is as Dennis suggests,make a standard bezel setting and then cut away most of the back so more stone shows.
    I'll have more faith in security.
    Nick
    You may find it easier to solder a ring inside the bezel to make a seat instead of cutting away. If your stones are round, easy peasy. Also, just thought, don't use very small stones otherwise they will always turn around and never lay nice and flat!
    Last edited by theresa; 23-09-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Don't use very small stones otherwise they will always turn around and never lay nice and flat!
    Ha ha, you found that with small cabochons too, did you Theresa? What a pain. Another good reason for seeing through the bottom. Dennis.

What a great idea Theresa! Thanks.I'm planning on 5mm peridots.
    Nick