Thread: Silver gone yellow

Default Silver gone yellow

Hi, i recently bought some .925 silver wire 2 mm from cooksons and made my first two rings out of it. Today i went swimming and afterwards my rings turned dull and yellowish brown. Obviously the silver has re acted with the chlorine. This is not normal with pure silver. Obviously i can re polish them but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Any ideas why this has happened ? Thanks Tony

925 is not pure silver? Pure silver might not have reacted, but an alloy will. Chlorine is incredibly aggressive on metals, which is why I'd never advocate swimming in either salt or chlorinated water while wearing jewellery.
    Not so sure about ozone treated pools, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Thanks but i don't think it's normal to have to remove a silver ring before swimming.
    I used a marine metal polish as a cutting compound before it's final polish, i am wondering whether that might have affected it in some way.
    Any ideas ?

I agree with Peter sterling silver will discolour so it’ll be up to you whether you want to clean it every time or take it of

Sterling silver will react to a multitude of agents, in a gradient from light yellow to almost black.
    Even completely natural substances such as raw onions, or egg yolk can be the culprits.
    In most cases there is no need to repolish, because a quick dip in Goddards, or other silver dip, followed by rinsing will do the trick.
    Low carat gold discolours in a similar way. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Sterling silver will react to a multitude of agents, in a gradient from light yellow to almost black.
    Even completely natural substances such as raw onions, or egg yolk can be the culprits.
    In most cases there is no need to repolish, because a quick dip in Goddards, or other silver dip, followed by rinsing will do the trick.
    Low carat gold discolours in a similar way. Dennis.
    Very true because i noticed that my 9 kt gold wedding ring had dulled with black edges . I gave them all a clean with my jewelry wipes this morning and back to new. However i have never experienced this before . I live in Mallorca so lots of swimming. Must have been very strong amount of chlorine. Thanks Tony

You should try the Dead Sea. Your jewellery might never recover. Dennis.

This is expected if you are wearing it all the time, so just clean them properly and regularly. That's the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by xoaiewrant View Post
    Your post is really helpful for me, are there any other ideas can be shared here?
    Actually i feel a bit silly now. I forgot to mention that it is my pool and i added the chlorine. When you open a tub of chlorine you have to hold your breath it is so strong!!!
    I have now noticed that just swimming in the pool is no problem. Coming in direct contact with chorine is a nono !