Thread: If I had a hammer....brass plate versus solid brass for disc cutter

Default If I had a hammer....brass plate versus solid brass for disc cutter

Hi, wanting to make discs out of sheet metal e.g. copper/brass. Have purchased a disc cutter from Cousins and waiting for it to arrive. I knew I would need a brass hammer so purchased one of the cheapest 2lb hammers I could find from Proops's Ebay shop:

ebay.co.uk/p/2lb-Pound-Brass-Plated-Mallet-Hammer-Jewellery-Making-Dapping-J2058/2260881146?iid=292265460780

However, I notice it is plate rather than solid brass...if I'm going to be whacking 1mm thick discs out using this, I'm guessing this won't last as long as a solid brass hammer. Or does it matter? If so I'll return said hammer and get something else!

Thanks

Dan

It depends on what the head of the hammer is made of underneath that plating.

Any 2lb steel hammer from a tool shop will do the trick. My favourite is a 2lb claw hammer I happened to have prior to starting on this lark. My unfavourite is a club hammer, because it is too difficult to see the punch when hitting it.

The aim will be to cut the disks with as few blows as possible and without damaging your fingers.

Please note that with the cheaper sets, the cutting punch will not be tapered. So after the disk has been cut, the cutting punch must be driven through the hole in the sheet by tapping with a large nail, screw or rod over a gap in a vice, for example. This is quite tedious.

Best not to cut disks more than 1.0mm thick and for brass make sure it is well annealed. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I don't know what the underlying material is. I did ask Proops if the hammer was suitable for the intended purpose but they haven't got back to me. I know about the tapering, I've taken a chance on one of Cousin's Indian disc cutter sets which I believe is tapered (taken from a suggestion on this forum)….but might not be!

Ha ha. Once bitten twice shy-that's me.
    When the company was called Exchange Findings and before Cookson took it over, I bought a very shiny riveting hammer there. On the first use the shiny bit peeled off revealing a soft alloy. They were quite reluctant to take it back, until I stood my ground.
    Cooksons are much more professional. Dennis.

LOL, thanks Dennis, I'll let you know!