Thread: Vibratory walnut polishing issues

Default Vibratory walnut polishing issues

Hi folks, have a vibratory polisher with walnut media, it has a liquid additive to allow it to polish, but it appears to be pretty useless, i ran it for 5 hrs and it made no difference to the parts i placed into the unit.

My goal is to use it to clean small musical instrument parts, that is for example a nickle silver key that is heavily tarnished, if i take it and put it up against a mop with some rouge it comes up like shiny silver.

So my question, should i add some rouge that i use on my mops into the walnut media to help with the polishing or something else.

Steve

I never add any liguid just rouge powder works fine take a few hours though. Great on tarnished silver.

No, it's the walnut that is useless. Get the corrosion off with ceramic media. I'm not well up on this, so you might browse here:

https://www.google.com/search?client...Q4dUDCAsDennis Dennis.

I have never done this with jewellery or musical instruments parts however I have had very good results with fired brass, load the vibrator and start it running then use a grater and grate some tripoli into the mix

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I have never done this with jewellery or musical instruments parts however I have had very good results with fired brass, load the vibrator and start it running then use a grater and grate some tripoli into the mix
    Will definetly give that a go before i throw the shell away

Steve