Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilt Buckle

Default Kilt Buckle

Some pics of a kilt Buckle I am making, first one of this type I have made I learnt a lot, I would never use this method in the future too many unpredictable problems
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010365.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	12078 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010370.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	12079 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010373.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	12080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010374.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	12081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010376.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	12082

Pic 1 frame Parts, Pic 2 frame parts test fit, pic 3 frame soldered, pic 4 Silver face soldered to frame, pic 5 off to the engraving god
    Last edited by china; 15-07-2019 at 05:43 AM.

I like that - looking forwards to seeing it once it's been cut.

Other than the minor difference that I'd have tacked the tongue & loop in place prior to soldering (rather than through holes), I'd have approached it pretty much the same - what problems did you hit?

Ha, we're watching this space. Dennis.

Look forward to seeing it completed.

This largest t issue I encountered is that the brass upon heating to attach the Silver moved around all over the place, I did cramp it down however clearly not enough, my intension was to just solder the silver around the edge it was having none
    of that just flowed underneath. The result is a horribly distorted face too much to file down, hook and the belt loop gave no problems, it will suffice as no one will know except me, I will remake it although the next version I will just construct the entire piece
    from Silver (Argentium). I will post a pic when it comes back

There's no harm in using easy solder Bob. It will cure many of the problems due to high temperature and will be perfectly strong.

As for Argentium, if you clamp it or wire it tightly, it will crack or collapse on heating. Not something to worry about with sterling. Dennis.

The loop and hook, I used hard solder, to attach the face I used easy, after thinking about I do think I should have just used Silver ( Argentium) and not Brass, the two in this situation/design are in my opinion not compatible the expansion difference between
    the two is too great it was near impossible to keep the heat localised but not to worry as they say you learn from your mistakes, it will be reborn, I can't complain it has been a very long time since I made such a horrible mess ( this one will just have to do for now not enough hours in the day to make a new one for this event)

Quick pic of the buckle after engraving, finish is a brush finish, the camera shows every little defect, in real life it looks good, why a brush finish because it is belt buckle and I a am of the opinion that a hi polish
    would show up every finger print etc., It would would be a different scenario if it was fully covered with scroll work, let me know your thoughts.
    ( for those who are interested the Tartan is "Jardine Modern Dress") Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010383.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	12142

I think that looks fabulous, and agree that a high polish on the surface would just be a nightmare to maintain.

Pretty good piece of engraving. You're well on the way to being an expert Bob.
    Satin finish is the way to go, because buckles became customised with use.
    If you care, the finish can still be evened out, using a medium grit decorators abrasive sponge block (dry), with light pressure.
    It needs to be applied horizontally in one direction only to get an even effect. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jb3 Belt For Jeans.jpg