Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More About Acrylic.

Default More About Acrylic.

Having worked on the acrylic charms pictured in my album, it was time to make a set of jewellery, for a birthday.

The ring was cut from a laminated block using drills and large burrs. It was hard work and generated a heap of dust. The ring is quite clunky and in your face.

The pendant has a series of pierced out stars, glued to each other and to a silver back plate. Then it was cut out again to hide the metal, leaving two ring shaped tags for the chain. The barley corn chain has some jump rings inserted to make it adjustable.

The ear studs are also backed by silver sheet, to accommodate ear posts. There are two button shapes and two stars, to mix and match.

Glue used: Loctite Power Flex.
    Length of pendant 70mm
    Loose barleycorn chain from Cookson. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails St1 Laminated Ring.jpg   St2 Star Necklace.jpg   St3 Pendant Reverse.jpg   St4 Mix And Match Ear Studs.jpg  

Love the laminated pieces they take me back to my early days. It turns really well on a lathe too, I made a few layered bangles

It seems that we worked with resins at opposite ends in our careers Caroline. for me it's quite a novelty, but still demanding in different ways. One notable improvement is that the pieces are much easier to photograph. Thanks for looking. Dennis.

It is hard work I’ll admit. A friend who was an art teacher in a High School said oh we have a laser cutter for the students to get shapes cut. I have a huge box of quarter sheets of perspex and loads of offcuts. It used to be possible just to go to the works in Edinburgh and raid the skip, you can’t do that now of course. There is a temptation return to it but I’d need to find a quicker more cost effective way of working.

I like these Dennis, they’re fun and a bit different. I must admit though, I can’t bear all the mess from sawing through acrylic, and that was just for the odd shape to cut out for press forming metal into.

Yes, thank you Sue. Floors become slippery too. I have a few things to work through and then it's back to my first love (if she'll have me back). Dennis.

Very nice, a great 60s vibe to them.

Nice work Dennis, I know what you mean with acrylic making a mess, recently turned up some small bowling balls, ( 150 mm/6") for a local club on my wood lathe, even with the dust extractor going the whole place looked like it had been snowing

Thank you, Deb. Yes it all started with researching retro brooches on line.
    Thank you Bob, I'm definitely averse to getting snowed under. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

These are very clever, so bright and colourful and completely different. I am really drawn to the ring in particular.