Thread: Gas torch for burning bronze Clay

Default Gas torch for burning bronze Clay

I've never tried any metal clays before. I've decided to start with Prometheus Sunny Bronze Clay.
    I've read that it can be fired with gas torch. I am afraid that due to inequal heating clay can be cracked...
    Are there any tips how to use gas touch to avoid cracking?

Yes take your time:
    First allow to dry overnight.
    Make an improvised chamber with blocks and direct the torch at the back rather than on the piece to begin with. Slowly raise the temperature until the piece glows and hold for the tine instructed
    Allow to air cool before pickling. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s Improvised chamber for conserving heat.sh.jpg  

Your mileage may vary with this technique - it can be done as others have torch fired sunny bronze metal clay and there is a CoolTools YouTube video that goes through the process. I however failed when I tried a couple of months ago, and it's trickier than it appears, so be prepared to experiment. You'll maybe be lucky, I only had a large butane torch at my disposal and it may be that it just wasn't the right temperature. All of my torch fired pieces failed to sinter and I ended up with clay that was crispy on the outside and crumbly on the inside - great when you're making biscuits, not so good with metal clay! And that was with a little firing cave as described by Dennis and on a piece of mesh so that the heat could circulate the piece. I have however had success with two stage firing in a kiln, with the second stage being done with carbon in a container.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    CoolTools YouTube video
    Thank's it might be helpful.
    misspond, you accurately described my concerns.