Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discolouration around cup??

Red face Discolouration around cup??

I need some advise from you wise folk.

I made a piece of silver jewellery the other day textured it slightly with my rolling mill, soldered a cup, set my stone and polished it up a treat.. looked lovely and I was very happy with my new creation. Next day I noticed that the piece had tarnished slightly but there was a kinda discolouration around the cup that was lovely and shiny compared to the rest of the piece.. I'm now gutted because I can't sell this beautiful piece but what could have caused this I have never had this issue before..

Any advice would be much appreciated.

No I pickled and polished it and it was perfect until the next day?? very strange..

I’ve been there but sometimes you go into a different light and there it is. I usually find mine when I put them in the light box to photograph. Otherwise I’m not sure what I can suggest as I’ve never had tarnish appear like that

Caroline is probably right. You might remember spending longer than usual getting the solder to flow.
    Remedy: Get a hotter torch. In and out more quickly.

You might be right, would firestain get worse over night? and if it is firestain what would you suggest to remove it now the stone is set? scotch mop attachment?

True.. I use my little butain quite a lot out of pure laziness! :-) but I do have a gas / air set up

The firestain wouldn’t have worstened overnight you might just be looking at it in a different light. My worry about removing it would be the lightly textured aspect. I don’t use scotchbrite mops any more as they need the lightest of pressure or you end up either removing the texture or worst case scoring the surface. I have been known in that case to matt finish it and hope it isn’t so obvious or I just end up polishing it out with a bristle brush and tripoli, then rouge. If I know it’s lurking there I usually end up going back and doing it properly though but I’m really anal about finish.

Yeah I dont think I can sell this piece now :-( thank you for the advice I will try polishing it out and see how it looks..

Any chance you could get it plated?