Thread: 0.15mm hole

Default 0.15mm hole

Looking for some help i need to make a very small hole in silver or stainless steel of 0.15mm
    Not very thick steel or silver only around 0.5-0.7mm thick. have attached a pic of what im needing. Im thinking it may be better being done by laser rather than trying to drill. If anyone out there can can helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	12141

I’ve drilled very fine holes in the past and found it best done by hand with a pin chuck or a small Archimedes. Haven’t done it in a while but it is possible. I would go and look at my fine drill collection but they are imperial and not metric so that’s how long it’s been!

Even though it's "only" .5-.7mm thick, that's still more than 3 diameters of the drill bit, so you're into deep hole drilling. I don't think I've any drill bits smaller than 0.3mm and they're quite twitchy in use; very easy to break. I don't think it's something I'd particularly want to tackle hand drilling, I'd need a press at the least (and woe betide if the bit breaks in the piece).

If you've got the option of laser drilling, I'd do that - but be aware of the HAZ, especially on stainless.

I have no experience of stainless steel so I can only speak from my experience of drilling by hand on silver. Until I bought my oroxxon only a few years back I’d done all my drilling by hand so it depends how proficient you get at something

I've got to ask - where did you find 0.15mm drill bits? Even making them from needles I haven't gone that fine.

I would have bought them from Temples in Edinburgh back in the day. No Cookson or any other tool company in the 70s/80s

Apologies. I had to go and look for them so that I could measure in metric sizing. The finest I can find are 0.48 or No71 as sold
    Last edited by CJ57; 28-08-2019 at 10:06 AM.

You can go down to 0.01 mm in tapered milling cutters you could write a toolpath to cut that hole with a small included angle If the plate wasn't too thick and Cnc it from both sides but would have to be done with a small step down and I wouldn't fancy it in stainless. laser is defiantly an option if you can get it down that small. I'm interested what's it for? :