Thread: Removing smelting oxides.

Default Removing smelting oxides.

Hi folks,

Looking for an alternative to cleaning smelted or annealed silver before rolling, i was taught with dipping in a warmed suuphuric acid mix, is there an alternative that requires no heating.

Steve

Any of the pickles that work hot will also work cold - but they take longer.
    I use pool pH down FWIW - same chemical as safety pickle (sodium bisulphate)

If you are impatient to get on, then a cheap slow cooker will keep safety pickle warm for the duration of a session. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Any of the pickles that work hot will also work cold - but they take longer.
    I use pool pH down FWIW - same chemical as safety pickle (sodium bisulphate)
    Might give that one a go, may I ask how long to soak, or is there a technique to knowing when to remove it, have not learnt this yet.

Steve

If the pickle is hot it will take from 30 secs to a couple of mins, if cold it can take 15 mins or longer, having said that, it will vary on how much residue e.g. flux or other contamination you need to remove plus
    the size of your piece, how strong your pickle is.Just check the piece until you are happy, after a while you will get a feel for it.
    Last edited by china; 27-08-2019 at 01:44 AM.