Thread: well helloooo!

Cool well helloooo!

Hi all,

newbie here (please be gentle)
    what about me, i hear you cry.....
    well im mid 40s guy currentley in kent (hoping to move soon) and work p/t as a tour guide. I have been floundering in jobs over the years and over the last year(ish) have been fascinated with silversmithing and jewelley making, watching soooo many videos and signed up to Mr Berrys site.

Really want to get going in next week or so and already have a micromotor (strong 209) and 2nd hand bench from hatten garden. will be looking to spend a small fortune on rest of equipment in coming days then practise practise practise....
    on that note if anyone has or knows of a used smiths torch/oxycon set up or rolling mill please let me know

hope to be posting lots soon

Well Khd, you might become frustrated with your efforts and decide it's not for you. Resale of your equipment or lack of purchasers would incur a heavy loss.

Why don't you start in a much smaller way, using hand torches and possibly practising on copper? Decide on a project and buy only such tools as are necessary for the moment.

You might also benefit from an elementary text book for beginners: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-T.../dp/1840921978 Being old and out of print, you can pick up a used copy very cheaply.

It has illustrations and descriptions of the tools, help with common techniques and projects for beginners to start you off . Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well Khd, you might become frustrated with your efforts and decide it's not for you. Resale of your equipment or lack of purchasers would incur a heavy loss.

Why don't you start in a much smaller way, using hand torches and possibly practising on copper? Decide on a project and buy only such tools as are necessary for the moment.

You might also benefit from an elementary text book for beginners: Being old and out of print, you can pick up a used copy very cheaply.

It has illustrations and descriptions of the tools, help with common techniques and projects for beginners to start you off . Dennis.
    thanks Dennis,

when i say spend a small fortune i mean for me (poor bank balance) and will only buy essentials and increase as and when...why i posted if anyone knew of those expensive ones going cheaper.
    Had a couple of days paid training of ring making and soldering, but as you say will practise sawing, soldering, forming on brass till more confident using more expensive metals

thanks for the link and advice

Good luck with your new projects. This site is fantastic for beginners or for those coming back to jewellery making after a long absence (like me).
    Keep us posted with your progress.

Sue