Thread: Dial Numbers on old Kerr Kiln

Default Dial Numbers on old Kerr Kiln

Hi!

Does anyone perchance know what temperatures the numbers on the dial correspond to on an old Kerr Inlay Furnace (enamelling kiln)? The the dial markings are: Low, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, High. I dug up my kiln but the instructions are elsewhere.… Attaching a photo.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KERR Kiln.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	12123

Hi Janet,
    I think you will find that the primary use for this kiln is to melt dental gold alloys, so you can assume that the top limit is around 1000°C.
    In the absence of a manual, I would suggest you put in some sterling scrap in a small crucible at say setting 3. If after about 15 minutes the metal has melted, this will be 800°C, which is also what you require for enamelling.

If not, step it up to 4 and wait, progressing until you have a result. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Janet,
    I think you will find that the primary use for this kiln is to melt dental gold alloys, so you can assume that the top limit is around 1000°C.
    In the absence of a manual, I would suggest you put in some sterling scrap in a small crucible at say setting 3. If after about 15 minutes the metal has melted, this will be 800°C, which is also what you require for enamelling.

If not, step it up to 4 and wait, progressing until you have a result. Dennis.
    It goes up to 2000 F. It has a thermostat and a temperature gauge, so knowing the exact temperature is not an issue....:-)....

Here is a piece I did many, many, many years ago in it:

Name:	Haggadah.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	12124

Each plique-a-jour flower is made individually and riveted.

Dear Janet, I'm sorry that I seem to have answered the wrong question, but since you already have all the information you need, as shown by the temperature gauge, I am puzzled to know what you were asking that you could not work out from that. Regards, Dennis.

You could use Kiln cones (Pyrometric cones) they will tell you an approx temp then mark it up yourself

Name:	cones.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	12125

I have a friend in QLD who does some enameling she uses one of these, http://www.thermomart.com/digital-ki...?product_id=69

Hi Dennis,

The manual says what temps the numbers stand for--I was hoping someone might have it or be familiar enough with this kiln to know. At the time I got it, it was very popular for enamelling. I assume they didn't put the temps on the dial because the temp gauge shows both centigrade and Farenheit and there wouldn't be room for both. I guess I'll just have to take the time to check out what temp each number gets to.

Thanks for your efforts!
    Janet in Jerusalem